Connect with us

Headlines

I have the right to know what’s going on at NPA— Ameachi —says noise over suspension of Hadiza unnecessary.

 Eyewitness reporter

The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has dismissed as unnecessary the controversy which the suspension of Hadiza Bala Usman, the Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), has so far generated among Nigerians.

Ameachi, who made this assertion on Monday in Abuja while inaugurating the 11- man committee that will probe the alleged financial impropriety against the suspended NPA Chief, declared that he has the right, as the Minister of Transportation, to know what is going on at NPA.
Ameachi, who was apparently bemused with the hysteria that greeted the development, said it was ridiculous for people to say he should not exercise his oversight functions over the NPA or any other agency under his ministry.
He said as a Minister of Transportation for over four years, he hardly knew what is going on in NPA, adding that it was high time for him to know what is going on in the place.
“As the Minister of Transportation for four years, I hardly know what is happening and I want to know now”
He declared that investigation is part of the mandate of the ministry to oversee the activities of its various agencies.
“This is in the discharge of our responsibility as a ministry and I don’t see why anybody is complaining.

“What is wrong in looking at what is happening in NPA? I don’t see what is wrong with that.

“The President agrees with me that it’s my responsibility as Minister to find out what is going on.

“It worries me that people are saying we should not ask questions. Nobody has been indicted.

“It is just, can we know what is going on in NPA? That’s the question.
“If everything is right, why do we have to bother at the end of the day?

inauguration of NPA probe panel

Speaking in the same vein, the Minister of state,  Gbemisola Saraki, described the public reactions over the suspension of Hadiza as surprising, adding that the investigation was within the purview of the ministry.
“This is why the Ministry supervises and part of that role is looking, asking questions, and ensuring that things are done in due process.
“For the panel, there is so much noise,  so it’s best you block your ears,  keep your head down and do what is in the interest of the entire country,” Saraki charged members of the panel.
While admonishing the probe panel, Ameachi asked the members to be diligent, focused, and thorough in their assignment.
“When you have completed your assignment, we will be glad to pass on the report to the President, but don’t forget your assignment will include activities of procurement and its processes from 2016 till date.

“And that is why you do not have a time limit. So, it will take you some time. You are not auditing, but finding out the processes.

“Please be diligent,  invite anybody you want to invite, including the Minister, if there are infractions you need me to clarify,” he said.
According to Amaechi, NPA is an agency that manages maritime trading activities in Nigeria and should be able to get in a lot of resources for the government to run the country.
It would be recalled that on May 6th, 2021, President Muhammadu Buhari approved the recommendation of the Amaechi for the setting up of an Administrative Panel of Inquiry to investigate the management of the NPA.

Amaechi, while inaugurating the committee on Monday in Abuja, charged the members to be diligent and ensure they do a thorough job.

The committee’s terms of reference, he said, include examining and investigating the administrative policies and strategies adopted by NPA’s Managing Director, Hadiza Usman, and confirm compliance with extant laws and rules from 2016 till date.

”Examine and investigate issues leading to the termination of other contracts of NPA and confirm compliance with the terms of the respective contracts,  court ruling and presidential directives.

“Examine and investigate compliance with communication channels, as obtained in the public service.

“Examine and investigate the procurement of contracts from 2016 to date.

“Come up with suggestions and advice that would strengthen the operations of NPA and forestall such occurrences in the future.

“And any other matter that may be necessary for the course of the assignment,” the Minister said.

He thanked the committee for accepting to serve and also appreciated the Minister of State for Transport, Sen. Gbemisola Saraki, for her diligence on the matter.

The Minister then reiterated that the public should allow the ministry to do its job.

“Let us reduce the shouting and allow the committee to do its job. Then, we will come out with a report, which we will avail to the public after it is being passed to the President,” he said.
The  Chairman of the committee, Mr. Suleiman Auwalu, Director of Maritime Services of the Ministry,  pledged the commitment of other members to diligently carry out the duties assigned to them.
 “I assure you that we are going to work; we are going to be honest and fair in the discharge of this responsibility.
”At the end of the day, we want to turn up a report that will be true and it will be in the interest of the country.

“So, we are seeking God’s guidance for us to do the right thing at the right time.”

It should also be recalled that President Buhari approved that Usman stepped aside for the period of the investigation while directing Mr Mohammed Koko, the Executive Director, Finance and Administration of the NPA, to serve as the Acting Managing Director of the agency.
The panel has no time limit to submit its report.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

NIMASA deepens maritime security as 492 Deep Blue personnel graduate in tactical training.

Funso OLOJO, Port Harcourt.
The Nigeria’s maritime security received a massive boost as 492 personnel of the iconic Deep Blue project have graduated from tactical trainings received across some of the best security institutions in the world.
Unveiling the graduants in their tactical attires at the Elele military barrack, Port Harcourt, the Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Administration( NIMASA), Dr Dayo Mobereola, said the occasion gave the agency a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment on its task to ensure Nigeria’s maritime domain is secured.
According to him, the 492 graduating Deep Blue personnel undergone specialized trainings conducted across several strategic training locations across the world, including Italy, Switzerland, Australia, Syria and
Nigeria.
He disclosed that the training has therefore exposed the personnel, taken from across different units of the Deep Blue project, to global best practices and international operational standards in maritime security operations.
“Today’s event is a demonstration of
operational readiness, institutional resilience and Nigeria’s determination to maintain a safe, secure and economically viable maritime environment.
“With many people are not fully aware of the level of operations and integration and technological capacity that supports these achievements.
“The Deep Blue architecture integrates two special mission aircraft equipped with advanced maritime surveillance sensors, three special mission helicopters for over-the-sea operations and surveillance, two special mission vessels for deep sea operations, eight unmanned aerial vehicles for real-time intelligence gathering, 16 fast interception boats for rapid tactical response and 15 armed coastal patrol vessels.
” The Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence Center, the C4I, serves as
the central coordination hub for military domain awareness and operational response.
“As many of you may recall, the Gulf of Guinea was once regarded as one of the most challenging military
maritime regions in the world due to incidents of piracy and robbery.
“Today, through the Deep Blue project and the collective efforts of all stakeholders, we are proud to say that Nigeria has
transformed the narrative which has resulted in zero piracy incidents since 2022.
“This has restored trust among global shipping operators, investors, and maritime stakeholders.
Mobereola expressed appreciation the Minister of Marine and Blue
Economy, Adeboyega Oyetola, for what he described as his exemplary leadership, strategic guidance, and steadfast commitment to promoting maritime security initiatives in Nigeria.
He also acknowledged the role the  Minister of Defense, General
Christopher Musa and the Minister of State for Defense, Dr. Belo
Matawale for their continued support and commitment towards strengthening national security and enhancing interagency cooperation in the maritime domain.
Mobereola commended  the Nigerian Navy, Air Force, Army, the Nigerian Police Force, the Department of State Services, (DSS) and all security and intelligence agencies whose professionalism and
cooperation continue to strengthen the operational success of the Deep Blue project.
Hee made special mention of Deep Blue project technical partner HLSI, Security Systems Technologies Limited, for their invaluable support, technical expertise, commitment to capacity development, and strategic partnership in the implementation and sustainability of the Deep Blue project.
NIMASA DG also congratulated the graduating personnel  for successfully completing the important steps of their professional journey.
“This strength you have received comes with enormous responsibility as you are expected to uphold high standards of professionalism, discipline, integrity, and the discharge of your duties.
Tge event was by the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola,  the  Minister of Defense, General
Christopher Musa and the Minister of State for Defense, Dr. Belo
Matawale, high military personnel from Navy, Army and Sir force.
Continue Reading

Headlines

WHO honors NFVCB over tobacco control in entertainment industry

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
The National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) has been honoured with the World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General’s Special Award, African Region, receiving a Certificate of Appreciation for its outstanding contributions to tobacco control advocacy and the promotion of responsible media content in Nigeria.
 The NFVCB is the only institution among the five-person African Region winners unveiled as part of the activities commemorating World No Tobacco Day.
This recognition by the DG of the WHO, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, acknowledges the Board’s leadership in regulating the depiction and promotion of tobacco and nicotine products in Nigerian films, music videos, skits, and other audiovisual content, particularly those accessible to young audiences.
 The WHO Director-General’s Awards are presented annually ahead of World No Tobacco Day on May 31 to honour individuals and organizations across WHO’s six regions for exceptional work in advancing the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC).
NFVCB was recognized for its landmark 2024 regulations prohibiting the promotion, and glamourization of tobacco and nicotine products in entertainment content.
The regulations require that any necessary depiction of tobacco use in films and videos must carry health warnings, receive the highest classification rating, and be restricted to audiences aged 18 years and above.
The regulations also mandate producers to place a disclaimer and disclose any relationship with the tobacco and nicotine industry while prohibiting tobacco brand display and product placement in entertainment content.
The policy aligns with the implementation guidelines of Article 13 of the WHO FCTC on tobacco depiction in entertainment media.
With the introduction of the regulations, Nigeria became the first country in Africa and only the second globally to establish such comprehensive safeguards against the glamorization of tobacco use on screen.
Research and WHO guidance have consistently shown that the portrayal of tobacco use in entertainment media normalizes smoking behaviour and increases the likelihood of tobacco uptake among young people.
Through clear regulatory standards, the Board is helping to reduce exposure to pro-tobacco imagery while promoting socially responsible storytelling within Nigeria’s creative industry.
The recognition also aligns with the 8-Point Agenda of the Honourable Minister of Art, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, Barrister Hannatu Musa Musawa, aimed at strengthening policy frameworks, promoting responsible creative content, preserving cultural values, and positioning Nigeria as Africa’s creative capital by 2030.
Speaking on the recognition, the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NFVCB, Dr.Shaibu Husseini, described the award as a validation of the Board’s efforts toward promoting responsible storytelling and safeguarding public interest through effective content regulation.
“This award is a validation of the work we have done with the Nigerian creative industry to promote responsible storytelling.
“The goal has never been to censor art, but to ensure that our films do not inadvertently market products that are harmful to public health,” he stated.
 Dr. Husseini reaffirmed the Board’s commitment to supporting initiatives that promote healthy societal values, protect children and vulnerable audiences, and strengthen the positive influence of Nigeria’s entertainment industry globally.
The ED also expressed appreciation to the Federal Ministry of Art, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, filmmakers, producers, and advocacy partners, especially Corporate Accountability and Public Participation Africa (CAPPA), National Tobacco Control Alliance (NTCA), and Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (CTFK), for their collaboration in advancing the policy.
The Board stated that it would continue to strengthen enforcement of the regulations, expand public education and stakeholder engagement, and deepen collaboration with WHO, the WHO FCTC Secretariat, and relevant stakeholders in promoting responsible entertainment content and public health protection.
Continue Reading

Business

Taiwo Afolabi calls on African businesses to scale up their operations for global relevance

Gloria Odion, Maritime reporter 
Dr. Taiwo Afolabi, Chairman, SIFAX Group, has called on African entrepreneurs, investors, and business leaders to prioritise the growth of large, sustainable corporations capable of competing globally, rather than operating fragmented and small-scale enterprises that limit the continent’s economic potential.
Speaking at the sidelines of the Africa CEO Forum held in Kigali, Rwanda, Afolabi said Africa’s economic transformation would depend significantly on the emergence of strong indigenous corporations with the scale, structure, and capacity to drive industrialisation, create jobs, attract investment, and compete internationally.
According to him, discussions at this year’s forum reinforced the urgent need for African businesses to embrace collaboration, long-term thinking, regional integration, and strategic expansion.
He said: “Africa cannot achieve its full economic potential with thousands of weak and fragmented businesses operating in silos.
“What the continent needs are strong institutions and large corporations that can survive beyond their founders, scale across borders, attract global capital, and compete with the best companies around the world.”
Afolabi noted that while entrepreneurship remains critical to Africa’s growth story, the continent must deliberately move beyond subsistence and lifestyle businesses towards building enduring enterprises with robust governance systems, innovation capacity, and continental reach.
He stressed that African governments, financial institutions, and private sector stakeholders must create enabling environments that support business scalability through improved infrastructure, access to finance, favourable regulations, and intra-African trade.
“The conversations at the Africa CEO Forum clearly showed that Africa’s future lies in integration and scale.
“The African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) presents a historic opportunity for businesses to expand beyond national borders and build truly pan-African enterprises,” he added.
Afolabi noted that SIFAX Group’s long-term vision is anchored on strengthening intra-African trade and supporting the successful implementation of AfCFTA through investments in logistics, ports, transportation, and digital finance solutions across Africa.
Continue Reading

Trending