Headlines
War against pirates: Nigerian Navy deploys 13 warships, 1,500 troops in Gulf of Guinea

Eyewitness News
On Thursday, the Nigerian Navy deployed 13 warships, two helicopters, and 1,500 troops in a special military exercise against pirates in the Gulf of Guinea.
The deployment was a joint naval exercise with the French Navy and the Royal Navy.
Naval Chief of Staff, CNS Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo, announced the deployment at the launch of Exercise Grand African NEMO 2021 in Onne, Rivers.
Represented by Rear Admiral Obi Egbuchulam, the General Officer Commanding the Central Naval Command, Gambo said three foreign Navies will also participate in the exercise.
He said the six-day exercise was also aimed at containing waves of oil thief attacks on critical oil and gas facilities as well as other crimes in Nigeria‘s territorial waters.
CNS said: “Exercise Grand African NEMO 2021 is an initiative of the French Navy in collaboration with the Nigerian Navy and allied partners, to improve maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea.
“The exercise involves a multi-faceted deployment at sea and ashore of naval assets from the three operations commands of the Nigerian Navy.
“The exercise aims to ensure freedom of navigation in the country’s maritime environment and in the Gulf of Guinea by strengthening coordination in the fight against maritime insecurity.
According to Gambo, crimes include piracy, theft at sea, illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing as well as illegal bunkering of oil and the illicit trafficking of people, weapons, and drugs.
He said the exercise would improve policing in the country’s exclusive economic zone and the navy’s capabilities and ability to secure the country’s waterways.
“To this end, the exercise will involve a total of 13 ships, around 1,500 people, two helicopters, and three foreign warships, including the French Navy and the Royal Navy.
“The Nigerian Navy Maritime Awareness Area facilities and Special Vessel Service (Navy Special Forces) elements will also participate in the exercise.
“The exercise will also cover the fight against piracy, the protection of oil installations as well as the conduct of search and rescue operations, among others,” he said.
The Naval Chief said the country’s economic zone had witnessed recent threats from criminal gangs, hence the Navy’s current new strategy to deny criminals freedom of action.
He said the morale of the troops had been boosted with the recent signing of the anti-piracy law.
According to him, the special military exercise will serve to consolidate the achievements of “Exercise Beni Kekere”, carried out three months ago, and of “Operation Calm Waters II” underway.
Headlines
NIMASA deepens maritime security as 492 Deep Blue personnel graduate in tactical training.


Headlines
WHO honors NFVCB over tobacco control in entertainment industry

Business
Taiwo Afolabi calls on African businesses to scale up their operations for global relevance

Headlines3 months agoThe rise of Olatunji Disu: From Aide-De-Camp (ADC) in 1999 to IGP in 2026
Headlines3 months agoNRC plans electric rail operations across the country- Opeifa
Headlines3 months agoNIWA Lagos Area Manager, Sarat Braimah, wins Nelson Mandela Pan African Leadership Award
Economy3 months agoNigeria’s Oil exports face threat as US- Israel attack on Iran escalates, Strait of Hormuz blockade imminent
Headlines3 months agoLekki Port boosts Nigeria’s trade surge as NPA releases 2025 operational performance
Customs3 months agoApapa Customs, Navy deepen partnership for seamless cargo movement along Apapa port corridor







