Connect with us

Headlines

Federal government asks CIOTA to chart direction for transport policy in Nigeria

Eyewitness reporter

The Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, has said the Federal Government holds the Chartered Institute of Transport Administration of Nigeria (CIOTA) in high regard as a professional body the country can rely on for direction in transport policy, planning, and administration.

 Osinbajo stated this on Monday in Abuja at the opening of the Third National Transport Summit organised by CIOTA, with the theme, “Regulating The Transport Sector In Nigeria: The State of the Art and The Years Ahead.”

The Vice President, who was represented by Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi said the Federal Government would adopt the recommendations of the conference as a critical document for future planning.

Earlier in his address, the National President of CIOTA, Dr. Bashir Jamoh, advocated taking inventory of the country’s transport assets to aid economic planning.

The Vice President said given the quality of professionals in CIOTA, the Federal Government trusted the institute as a worthy partner in its economic recovery drive.

“You have a role to produce transport professionals who will drive the economy from the point of view of transport and logistics,” Osinbajo stated while declaring open the three-day summit.

“Therefore, the government would look up to your Institute for guidance in policy formulation and implementation,” he added.

The Vice President told CIOTA, “Your role in the transportation sector of the economy is enormous.

“It is a lead role. As the Institute carries out its statutory mandate of training and certifying transport professionals, as you exercise your statutory powers to regulate and control the practice of professional transport management and administration, your training curriculum and the quality of your graduates are very significant, as the global supply chain goes digital and the world of transport and transportation management thrives on ever-evolving technology and innovations.

“The impressive attendance at this summit and the quality of attendees show that your Institute is well prepared for this role.”

Osinbajo further stated, “From the stellar quality of speakers at this summit, the government would expectantly look forward to a rich outcome of the summit with strong recommendations for regulating the transport sector from the point of view of pricing of services, technical quality, and safety of transport equipment in a secure environment.”

Jamoh, in his address, stated that the theme of this year’s summit was a renewed call for the country to take stock of its transportation assets to facilitate development planning.

The CIOTA president, who is also the Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), said, “This theme is a call to a renewed scrutiny, supervision, and stocktaking within the transportation sector.

“Critical regulatory obligations such as transportation safety, quality control, documentation and licensing, information sharing and data mining, professional education and public enlightenment; enforcement of the rules and standardisation of procedures for seamless collaboration amongst statutory institutions with mandates are imperatives for the making of a sustainable and economically viable transport sector in Nigeria.”

He added, “It is also time to take stock nationally of all the transportation assets of Nigeria.

” CIOTA pledges to play a supportive role in this regard. We are officially assuring the government at federal and state levels that the institute’s professional base is ready and at your disposal.

“We believe that proper inventory of our national transportation assets will address the following important concerns: what is our exact national requirement in terms of transportation assets in order to avoid duplication, underproduction or under-investment? We must first ascertain what we need to enable us to fill in the gaps.”

The conference, which continues on Tuesday, was well attended by experts and stakeholders in the transport sector, including heads of state and federal government agencies and parastatals, private sector operators, and academics.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

NIMASA opens investigation into vessels collision accident at Bonny anchorage as five crew members sustain injuries 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 

The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Administration(NIMASA) has opened a full scale investigation into the accident which occurred as a result of a collision between a container vessel, MV MAERSK VALPARAISO, and an oil tanker, MT LADY MARTINA, at the Bonny Inner Anchorage.

The accident which occurred on May 20th, 2026, has triggered a flurry of activities,  has resulted in an oil spill in the affected area.

The Deep Blue Operating Base (FOB) in Bonny received a distress call at approximately 1130 hours regarding the collision involving MV Valparaiso, a Singapore-flagged container vessel with IMO No. 9433054, and MT Lady Martina, a Nigerian-flagged oil products tanker with IMO No. 5104033.
In response, the Base immediately deployed 10 armed personnel onboard DB 214, one of the interceptor boats under the Deep Blue Project, to the scene of the incident.
Five crew members onboard MT Lady Martina sustained varying degrees of injuries and were promptly evacuated to the FOB Bonny sickbay for medical attention.

Following the collision, MT Lady Martina drifted ashore and is currently aground along the Bonny Channel, while MV Valparaiso remains grounded at the Bonny Inner Anchorage pending damage assessment and further investigation.

The management of MAERSK has officially reported the incident to the Agency.

Consequently, the Director General of NIMASA, Dayo Mobereola, has ordered a full investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the collision.

In addition, NIMASA has established a Situation Monitoring Room to coordinate response efforts and monitor developments arising from the incident.

Dr. Mobereola, who was personally on ground in Rivers State to inaugurate the situation room,  also directed the Agency’s Marine Environment Management Department to immediately commence an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the affected area, while taking necessary steps to mitigate the impact of the Tier 1 oil sheen and protect the marine environment.

NIMASA promised to  update the public with the outcome of the investigation into the incident.

Continue Reading

Headlines

NIMASA deepens maritime security as 492 Deep Blue personnel graduate in tactical training.

Funso OLOJO, Port Harcourt.
The Nigeria’s maritime security received a massive boost as 492 personnel of the iconic Deep Blue project have graduated from tactical trainings received across some of the best security institutions in the world.
Unveiling the graduants in their tactical attires at the Elele military barrack, Port Harcourt, the Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Administration( NIMASA), Dr Dayo Mobereola, said the occasion gave the agency a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment on its task to ensure Nigeria’s maritime domain is secured.
According to him, the 492 graduating Deep Blue personnel undergone specialized trainings conducted across several strategic training locations across the world, including Italy, Switzerland, Australia, Syria and
Nigeria.
He disclosed that the training has therefore exposed the personnel, taken from across different units of the Deep Blue project, to global best practices and international operational standards in maritime security operations.
“Today’s event is a demonstration of
operational readiness, institutional resilience and Nigeria’s determination to maintain a safe, secure and economically viable maritime environment.
“With many people are not fully aware of the level of operations and integration and technological capacity that supports these achievements.
“The Deep Blue architecture integrates two special mission aircraft equipped with advanced maritime surveillance sensors, three special mission helicopters for over-the-sea operations and surveillance, two special mission vessels for deep sea operations, eight unmanned aerial vehicles for real-time intelligence gathering, 16 fast interception boats for rapid tactical response and 15 armed coastal patrol vessels.
” The Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence Center, the C4I, serves as
the central coordination hub for military domain awareness and operational response.
“As many of you may recall, the Gulf of Guinea was once regarded as one of the most challenging military
maritime regions in the world due to incidents of piracy and robbery.
“Today, through the Deep Blue project and the collective efforts of all stakeholders, we are proud to say that Nigeria has
transformed the narrative which has resulted in zero piracy incidents since 2022.
“This has restored trust among global shipping operators, investors, and maritime stakeholders.
Mobereola expressed appreciation the Minister of Marine and Blue
Economy, Adeboyega Oyetola, for what he described as his exemplary leadership, strategic guidance, and steadfast commitment to promoting maritime security initiatives in Nigeria.
He also acknowledged the role the  Minister of Defense, General
Christopher Musa and the Minister of State for Defense, Dr. Belo
Matawale for their continued support and commitment towards strengthening national security and enhancing interagency cooperation in the maritime domain.
Mobereola commended  the Nigerian Navy, Air Force, Army, the Nigerian Police Force, the Department of State Services, (DSS) and all security and intelligence agencies whose professionalism and
cooperation continue to strengthen the operational success of the Deep Blue project.
Hee made special mention of Deep Blue project technical partner HLSI, Security Systems Technologies Limited, for their invaluable support, technical expertise, commitment to capacity development, and strategic partnership in the implementation and sustainability of the Deep Blue project.
NIMASA DG also congratulated the graduating personnel  for successfully completing the important steps of their professional journey.
“This strength you have received comes with enormous responsibility as you are expected to uphold high standards of professionalism, discipline, integrity, and the discharge of your duties.
Tge event was by the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola,  the  Minister of Defense, General
Christopher Musa and the Minister of State for Defense, Dr. Belo
Matawale, high military personnel from Navy, Army and Sir force.
Continue Reading

Headlines

WHO honors NFVCB over tobacco control in entertainment industry

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
The National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) has been honoured with the World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General’s Special Award, African Region, receiving a Certificate of Appreciation for its outstanding contributions to tobacco control advocacy and the promotion of responsible media content in Nigeria.
 The NFVCB is the only institution among the five-person African Region winners unveiled as part of the activities commemorating World No Tobacco Day.
This recognition by the DG of the WHO, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, acknowledges the Board’s leadership in regulating the depiction and promotion of tobacco and nicotine products in Nigerian films, music videos, skits, and other audiovisual content, particularly those accessible to young audiences.
 The WHO Director-General’s Awards are presented annually ahead of World No Tobacco Day on May 31 to honour individuals and organizations across WHO’s six regions for exceptional work in advancing the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC).
NFVCB was recognized for its landmark 2024 regulations prohibiting the promotion, and glamourization of tobacco and nicotine products in entertainment content.
The regulations require that any necessary depiction of tobacco use in films and videos must carry health warnings, receive the highest classification rating, and be restricted to audiences aged 18 years and above.
The regulations also mandate producers to place a disclaimer and disclose any relationship with the tobacco and nicotine industry while prohibiting tobacco brand display and product placement in entertainment content.
The policy aligns with the implementation guidelines of Article 13 of the WHO FCTC on tobacco depiction in entertainment media.
With the introduction of the regulations, Nigeria became the first country in Africa and only the second globally to establish such comprehensive safeguards against the glamorization of tobacco use on screen.
Research and WHO guidance have consistently shown that the portrayal of tobacco use in entertainment media normalizes smoking behaviour and increases the likelihood of tobacco uptake among young people.
Through clear regulatory standards, the Board is helping to reduce exposure to pro-tobacco imagery while promoting socially responsible storytelling within Nigeria’s creative industry.
The recognition also aligns with the 8-Point Agenda of the Honourable Minister of Art, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, Barrister Hannatu Musa Musawa, aimed at strengthening policy frameworks, promoting responsible creative content, preserving cultural values, and positioning Nigeria as Africa’s creative capital by 2030.
Speaking on the recognition, the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NFVCB, Dr.Shaibu Husseini, described the award as a validation of the Board’s efforts toward promoting responsible storytelling and safeguarding public interest through effective content regulation.
“This award is a validation of the work we have done with the Nigerian creative industry to promote responsible storytelling.
“The goal has never been to censor art, but to ensure that our films do not inadvertently market products that are harmful to public health,” he stated.
 Dr. Husseini reaffirmed the Board’s commitment to supporting initiatives that promote healthy societal values, protect children and vulnerable audiences, and strengthen the positive influence of Nigeria’s entertainment industry globally.
The ED also expressed appreciation to the Federal Ministry of Art, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, filmmakers, producers, and advocacy partners, especially Corporate Accountability and Public Participation Africa (CAPPA), National Tobacco Control Alliance (NTCA), and Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (CTFK), for their collaboration in advancing the policy.
The Board stated that it would continue to strengthen enforcement of the regulations, expand public education and stakeholder engagement, and deepen collaboration with WHO, the WHO FCTC Secretariat, and relevant stakeholders in promoting responsible entertainment content and public health protection.
Continue Reading

Trending