Connect with us

Headlines

Maersk’s suspension of shipping operations through Strait of Hormuz raises anxiety among Nigerian importers 

Attack on vessel in the Strait of Hormuz
Funso OLOJO, with agency report
The on- going hostilies in the Middle East have continued to stifle international trade as most of the shipping companies have suspended voyage through the troubled Strait of Hormuz.
The joint attacks by the military forces of the United States of America (USA) and Israel on the Islamic Republic of Iran, which resulted in the assassination of its Supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khomenei and over 40 top military officers of the Islamic country,have put a strain on shipping operations along the busy vessel route of Strait of Hormuz as the Houthis militias, who are sympathetic to Iran, have threatened to attack vessels on the route.
Strait of Hormuz accounts for one third of the world shipping passage while the route accommodates the world largest crude tankers , despite its narrow width.
As a result of the threats, which have raised safety concerns on the vessels, cargos and crews, major shipping lines have halted their operations along the route.
Maersk, the world’s largest container shipping company, has halted passage of cargo vessels through the Strait of Hormuz for “safety” reasons.

“We are suspending all vessel crossings in the Strait of Hormuz until further notice,” the Danish group said in an online advisory.“The safety of our crews, vessels and customers’ cargo remains our key priority,” it said.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard had earlier announced the Strait’s closure.

Major Middle Eastern oil and gas exporters rely on it to move supplies to international markets while importing nations depend on its uninterrupted operation.
China, one of the biggest destinations of Nigerian importers, make use of the route for import of the crude oil from the Middle East, especially Iran and export of its manufactured goods to the developing countries, especially Nigeria.
This development has raised anxiety among Nigerian importers who expressed concerns over the implications of the disruption on the route one the cost of imports, especially from China.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Analyses

Beyond The Lagos Communique: Can West Africa’s $27 Billion Port Rhetoric Outrun Gridlock?

Ibrahim Nasiru
The Monday Discourse with NASIRU focuses on the take away from the just concluded PMAWCA board meeting in Lagos.
Last week, maritime leaders gathered in Lagos for the PMAWCA conference, celebrating a staggering $27 billion infrastructure boom and drawing up plans to replicate the seamless digital models of Rotterdam and Singapore.
But for the average importer, agent, or truck driver trapped in the chaos of Apapa or Tin Can, the disconnect is jarring.
West African Ports are masterful at planning, but historically abysmal at executing.
A multi-billion-dollar Deep Sea Port is just an expensive parking lot for containers if the surrounding rail and road infrastructure remains broken.
True competitiveness will not be won by the nation that signs the largest contract; it will be won by the nation that actually clears a container without corruption, extortion, or manual delays.
It is time to move past courtroom style policy curation and deploy an execution squad.
Read full details tomorrow on why West Africa’s maritime sector needs dockyard discipline over boardroom eloquence.
Continue Reading

Headlines

Sallah celebration: Osun govt offers free train ride to indigenes as NRC increases Lagos–Ibadan Train Trips for Sallah

Gloria Odion, maritime reporter 
The Osun State government has made full payment to the Nigerian Railway Corporation( NRC) for the use of its narrow gauge rail services to transport the indigenes of the state free of charge for the Sallah celebration.
The annual gesture was confirmed by the management of the Corporation while announcing a temporary increase  in train services on the Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) corridor for Tuesday, May 26, 2026, ahead of the Sallah celebration.
The NRC revealed that the Osun government free train ride will be on its narrow gauge corridor.
The special train will depart from Iddo Station, Lagos, on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, while the return trip from Osogbo to Lagos will take place on Thursday, May 28, 2026.
The service, which is usually operated during festive periods, is being sponsored by the Osun State Government through a paid arrangement with the Nigerian Railway Corporation to convey Osun indigenes free of charge for the Sallah celebration.
Meanwhile, the Corporation has announced an adjustment to its schedule on its Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) corridor for Tuesday, May 26, 2026, ahead of the Sallah
The temporary adjustment is aimed at accommodating the expected increase in passenger movement as many Nigerians travel to celebrate the festive season with their families and loved ones.
Under the special arrangement, the Corporation will operate six train trips on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, instead of the usual four trips currently operated on the corridor.
For the day, train departures from the Lagos end will be at 7:45am, 1:40pm and 4:00pm, while departures from the Ibadan end will be at 8:00am, 10:50am and 4:30pm.
The Management clarified that this arrangement is strictly temporary and applies only to the Sallah travel period.
 Immediately after the celebration, the normal Tuesday timetable of four trips will resume.
Similarly, the recently introduced Thursday six-trip operations will be temporarily adjusted next week, as only four trips will operate on Thursday May,  28th during the period under review.
The regular six-trip Thursday schedule will however resume the following week.
The NRC reassured passengers of its commitment to providing safe, efficient and reliable rail transportation services across the country and wishes all Nigerians a peaceful and memorable Sallah celebration.
Continue Reading

Headlines

NRC expresses fresh concerns over consistent railway vandalism in the North 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has raised serious concern over renewed and coordinated attacks on railway infrastructure in parts of the country.
This followed fresh incidents of vandalism recorded in Plateau and Bauchi States.
The Corporation described the disturbing development as a direct attack on critical national infrastructure and an affront on public safety, economic growth and national security.
In one of the latest incidents recorded on May 21, 2026, a truck reportedly loaded with vandalized railway materials became stuck between Kuru and Science School, Kuru in Plateau State, exposing the dangerous activities of criminal elements involved in the destruction and illegal movement of railway materials.
Similarly, along Zango, in Bauchi State, between Kilometer 878 and 889, railway slippers were completely removed on both sides of a level crossing, leaving behind few disjointed rail pieces.
The Corporation warned that such acts could result in catastrophic train accidents, disruption of rail services, loss of lives and destruction of government investments worth billions of naira.
The NRC emphasized that railway tracks, slippers, clips, fastenings and signaling materials are critical national assets built with taxpayers’ money to facilitate transportation, trade, economic activities and national development, and should never be treated as scraps for illegal business.
The Managing Director/CEO of the NRC, Dr. Kayode Opeifa, strongly condemned the persistent attacks on railway facilities, describing the trend as sabotage against national progress and a serious threat to the safety of passengers and railway personnel.
According to him, the increasing incidents of vandalism in the North Central and North East corridors indicate a dangerous pattern that requires urgent collective action from security agencies, state governments, traditional rulers, community leaders and residents living along railway lines.
Dr. Opeifa appealed to Nigerians to see railway infrastructure as a national symbol and strategic economic asset that must be protected at all times.
He warned vandals, scrap dealers and individuals involved in the illegal purchase, movement or destruction of railway materials to desist immediately, stressing that anyone caught would face the full weight of the law.
The Corporation also called on security agencies to intensify surveillance and enforcement operations around railway corridors nationwide, while urging members of the public to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities around railway facilities.
Continue Reading

Trending