Connect with us

Customs

Why we adopted direct auction sale for scrap vehicles—-Customs

seized vehicles waiting to be auctioned

 

The Eyewitness reporter
The Nigeria Customs Service has explained the reason why it recently disposed of scrap vehicles under its control through the direct auction sale method.
In an exclusive interview with our reporter, the National Public Relations Officer (NPRO) of the Service, Deputy Comptroller Timi Bomodi, explained that no sane person could purchase those damaged vehicles for use except those who melt them into metal as raw materials.
” Yes, the vehicles we auctioned through direct sales were all scraps. They are vehicles used by smugglers which are purposely built for their nefarious activities.
“These vehicles are damaged beyond repairs and the service could not upload such vehicles on its auction portal to the general public.
“That was why we sold them directly at very ridiculously low prices to iron smelting companies who will melt them into iron.
“These vehicles litter all our commands in the country and are constituting an environmental nuisance.
“So we needed to evacuate them from those places for the safety of our officers who are constantly being faced with the danger of attacks from snakes and other dangerous reptiles which hide under the cover of these scrap vehicles”, Bomodi declared.
He said his explanation was meant to clarify what he described as false information and misconception being peddled to the public by auctioneers.
The auctioneers have accused the Customs of branding about 6000 seized vehicles as scraps before selling them off at cheap prices to their cronies.
The aggrieved auctioneers have further claimed that the Customs conducted the auction of the vehicles without open competitive bidding as it’s enshrined in the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) Act, 2007.
“So far, about 6,000 vehicles have been sold to their cronies through the so-called direct auction allocation.
“The vehicles, which could have fetched the government huge revenue, were sold as scraps at giveaway prices.

“We all know that it is a ploy to enrich their favoured contractors at the expense of the government.

” The government is being denied the revenue it would have realised from open competitive auctions.
” If this government is serious, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Hameed Ali should be answering tough questions from either the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) or the National Assembly by now,” the Auctioneers claimed.
They further alleged that instead of selling the confiscated goods through public auctions as mandated by the law, the NCS had been selecting the dealers it sells to.
“What the BPP Act says
Section 55 (3) (5) of the BPP Act stipulates that open competitive bidding shall be the primary source of receiving offers for the purchase of any public property offered for sale.
“For the purposes of this Act, public property is defined as resources in the form of tangible and non-tangible assets (ranging from serviceable to the unserviceable).

“According to a letter from the NCS to a company, AMEX West Africa Limited and dated March 25, 2022, with reference number: NCS/ADM/MGT/012/S.2/C, signed by the Chairman, Direct Disposal of Scraps Committee, Comptroller A.D Sanusi, titled, ‘Direct auction allocation of scrap vehicles and other items,’ it was indicated therein that 338 vehicles were sold for N3,380,000 through direct auction allocation in Abuja.
It read, ‘’I am directed to inform you that the Comptroller-General of Customs, acting on the provisions of Customs and Exercise Management (Disposal of goods) Act, CAP C46, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, hereby allocates the under-listed 338 lots of various scrap vehicles domiciled at Katsina State Area Command to your company as auction sales for the purpose of disposal, smelting and fabrication into raw materials for production valued at N3,380,000 only.

“All vehicles disposed of must be evacuated from the premises within 10 working days after payment or risk forfeiture.

” Furthermore, you are to note the following: Application for replacement of allocated vehicles would not be entertained. All allocation letters transferred or sold by the allottee to a third party shall be at the buyer’s risk.’’
However, Bomodi stated that the auctioneers were only being mischievous and clever by half in their claims as the vehicles auctioned through the direct disposal method were actually scraps and not branded as such.
He disclosed that Customs still conducts open bidding auction exercises on its auction portal.
“The last time we conducted the auction of serviceable vehicles on our portal was early this year and another round of the exercise will soon be conducted” he disclosed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Customs

Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Authorized Economic Operator (AEO), one of the trade facilitation tools introduced by the Nigeria Customs Service in 2025, has begun to yield bountiful harvests with the revenue growth of ₦362.79 billion recorded in 2025.
According to the AEO scorecard released by the Service, the facilitation tool grossed the sum of N1.585 trillion after certification, an increase revenue from N1.222 trillion before certification.
This represents the growth of N362.79 billion(29.68 per cent) for 51 AEO – certified entities as at October, 2025.
The Programme, according to the NCS,  also contributed 21.77% to its total revenue collection of ₦7.281 trillion in 2025, while customs duties paid rose by 85.66% due to enhanced compliance and increased volumes of legitimate trade.
According to AEO Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Report, the Programme achieved an average compliance rate of 85.45 per cent with the highest at 100 per cent and the lowest at 60 per cent.
“The evaluation applied rigorous methodologies to ensure objectivity, transparency, and alignment with the World Customs Organisation (WCO) SAFE Framework of Standards and the provisions of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
“In the area of trade facilitation, AEO participation reduced average cargo clearance time from 168 hours to 41 hours, representing a 75.60% time saving.
“Company operating costs declined by 57.2 per cent while demurrage payments dropped by 90 per cent, limiting capital flight to foreign-owned port service providers and strengthening foreign exchange retention.
” Overall trade efficiency improved by 77.11 per  through digitalisation, simplified procedures, and targeted risk management” the Customs declared in the AEO scorecard.
However, the Service singled out with Eight companies for commendation due to their integrity and compliance under the programme.
The companies include Coleman Technical Industries Limited, WACOT Rice Limited, ROMSON Oil Field Services Ltd, WACOT Limited, Chi Farms Ltd, CORMART Nigeria Ltd, PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc, Nigerian Bottling Company Limited and MTN Nigeria Communications Plc.
The Service lauded them for a cumulative voluntary remittance of over a billion naira into the Federation Account following their self-initiated transaction review and disclosure.
“These actions reflect the strengthening of post-clearance audit mechanisms and a growing culture of voluntary compliance within the trading community.
Nevertheless, the Service suspended a firm under the programme for its non- compliance and display of lack of integrity.
The suspended firm engaged in false declaration of consignments contrary to programme obligations.
“Consequently, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, directed the immediate suspension of the company’s AEO status in accordance with the AEO Guidelines, the WCO SAFE Framework of Standards, and Section 112 of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
The NCS reiterated that the AEO Programme is founded on trust, transparency, and continuous compliance.
“While compliant operators will continue to benefit from expedited clearance and reduced inspection, appropriate sanctions will be applied where violations are established.
“The Service remains resolute in safeguarding national revenue, facilitating legitimate trade, and preserving the integrity and global credibility of Nigeria’s AEO framework” the NCS concluded in the report.
Continue Reading

Customs

Customs takes delivery, commissions 60- bed hospital donated by BUA Group in Bauchi

Gloria Odion, Maritime Reporter 
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, officially commissioned the Abdul Samad Rabiu / Nigeria Customs Service Hospital in Bauchi, a 60-bed healthcare facility constructed and donated by Abdul Samad Rabiu, Chairman of ASR Africa and Founder/Executive Chairman of BUA Group.
The hospital, delivered through the Abdul Samad Rabiu Africa Initiative, is expected to significantly expand healthcare access for Customs officers, their families and host communities across Zone ‘D’ and neighbouring states.
Describing the project as a strategic welfare investment, the CGC said the facility reflects the Service’s commitment to strengthening institutional capacity through improved personnel wellbeing.
 “This commissioning is a clear statement that the NCS prioritises the health and welfare of its officers,” he stated.
“A modern Service requires not only technology and operational reforms, but also strong social infrastructure that supports those who serve.”
In his remarks, the Managing Director/CEO of ASR Africa, Dr Ubon Udoh, emphasised the intervention’s sustainability focus.
“ASR Africa is committed to impact-driven philanthropy,” he said. “Our partnership with the NCS demonstrates what can be achieved when private sector commitment aligns with institutional reform and clear developmental goals.”
Also delivering a message on behalf of the Executive Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed, the Secretary to the State Government, Aminu Hammayo, described the commissioning as a boost to the state’s healthcare ecosystem.
“This facility will complement existing public health institutions and improve access to specialised services,” he said.
 “It reflects the value of collaboration between government and responsible corporate entities.”
The hospital’s commissioning marks the culmination of a phased transformation that began in 2008 with the establishment of a basic health post at the Zone ‘D’ Headquarters, Bauchi.
It was subsequently upgraded to a clinic, and later a medical centre, before a 2023 partnership between the NCS and ASR Africa converted it into a 30-bed hospital, completed in April 2025.
Following a needs assessment, the CGC approved the remodelling and expansion of the facility into a 60-bed secondary healthcare facility with selected tertiary services.
Now equipped with seven clinical departments: Nursing Services, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pharmacy and Medical Laboratory, alongside Administrative and Health Information Management units, as well as Dental, Radiology and Nutrition units.
The hospital is projected to manage up to 300 patients per month during its first operational year.
Long-term expansion plans include advanced diagnostics such as CT scans and MRI, as well as specialised surgical procedures, positioning the facility as a referral centre across the North-East and parts of North-Central Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Customs

Ahead of Customs’ paperless operations in June, Comptroller Onyeka declares Tin Can Customs trade enabler

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
Barely few days after the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, announced that the Customs will migrate to paperless operations in June, 2026, the Tin Can command of the Service has made an elaborate preparation to key into the digital platform.
Even though, the Customs High Command is yet to release the blue print for the take -off of the digital revolution in goods clearance, the Controller of Tin Can Customs, Comptroller Frank Onyeka, has declared that his command is ready to hit the ground running.
To this end, Comptroller Onyeka has declared Tin Can Island Customs as a trade enabler where seamless operations will be the order of the day.
While speaking with the maritime media on Tuesday, February 17th, 2026, Onyeka stated that as long as an importer or his agent makes an honest declaration and the consignment is not flagged, such goods will leave the customs control within the 48 hours clearance time being envisaged by the Customs under its paperless operations regime.
Comptroller Onyeka further disclosed that his command will aim at collecting collectable revenue instead of maximum revenue which often leaves no room for trader to handle logistics costs and other sundry charges.
“By focusing on collectable revenue, we ensure that the trader makes profit, return to the market and continues to contribute to the society.
“I want to be known as a trade enabler personified” Comptroller Onyeka enthused.
While making projection into the year 2026, the Customs chief said the command recorded a lot of positives in 2025 when it surpassed the revenue target for that year and when a record revenue collection of 26 billion was recorded in a single day, a feat that was unprecedented in the history of the command.
Onyeka said the command started the year 2026 on a good revenue trajectory with the collection of  N145. 9bn in January, representing a 25.3 percent increase when compared to the N116.4billon  collected in January 2025.
He acknowledged the support of the media for its “constructive reportage” which acted as a catalyst for the good performance of the command in 2025.
While soliciting for the continued support of journalists in 2026, Comptroller Onyeka said his officers have been well primed to confront the challenges ahead.
He dismissed the fears of possible network glitches which stakeholders expressed may hamper the success of the paperless operations, saying such eventuality will be surmounted just as the teething problems which plagued B’ Odogwu platform at take off were conquered.
“Despite the teething problems with B’Odogwu,  we have recorded tremendous success, so we are ready for the paperless operations.
“There could be network issues but I want to urge the trading public to build capacity.
“With that, you can complete container clearance entirely online, with no physical contact with customs officers.
“If your declaration is not flagged, the process will be seamless, there will be no reason to come and see anyone.
“We cannot guarantee a perfect system from day one, but those challenges will not stop us.
” The more traders declare correctly and honestly, the smoother this process becomes for everyone,” he declared while advising importers to palletise their consignments.
It could be recalled that while launching the Customs’ One- Stop- Shop(OSS) on Friday, February 13th, 2026, the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed that the Service is advancing toward a fully paperless customs environment, with the first phase of digital clearance and documentation processes scheduled for rollout by the end of the second quarter of 2026.
“This platform is a deliberate shift from fragmented interventions to coordinated governance, from discretion to data, and from isolated actions to collective responsibility,” Adeniyi had declared.
 “Through this reform, we continue to build systems that support lawful trade, protect national interests and serve the economy with professionalism and integrity.” he concluded.
Continue Reading

Trending