Business
Years of losses force LG out of smartphone market

.
The South Korean electronic giant, LG, on Monday, has announced its exit from the smartphone market after it has posted a sting of losses.
According to Forbes, LG company posted almost six years of consecutive losses of $4.5billion
The company said the move will allow it to concentrate on other business areas that it hope to made appreciable impact and gains.
This decision is expected to leave a sizeable gap in the American smartphone market where LG is the third biggest brand after Apple and Samsung.
In a press statement, the company said the decision has been approved by its board and the company expects to fully exit the mobile phone business by the end of July.
LG is the third biggest smartphone brand in the U.S., making up about 11% of all smartphone sales in the country last year, according to a firm , Counterpoint Research.
LG said exiting the smartphone business will allow it to focus on growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes and artificial intelligence.
All three major wireless networks in the U.S.—AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile—presently offer LG smartphones as part of their cellular plans, most of which are cheaper than Samsung and Apple’s more premium devices.
LG’s shares fell 2.52% on Monday after the announcement.
Analysts said LG’s decision to pull out of smartphone business comes after the division reported nearly six consecutive years of losses totaling around $4.5 billion, according to Reuters.
At their peak, LG’s smartphones went up against Samsung’s Galaxy line of devices, as the two premier brands running Google’s Android operating system.
However, a series of software and hardware issues and stagnation in design began LG’s slide, which was further accelerated by cheaper and more feature-packed phones from Chinese makers like Xiaomi, Huawei and Oppo.
LG’s current global share of smartphone sales is only around 2% and it shipped just 23 million phones last year compared to Samsung’s 256 million, according to Counterpoint.
For existing LG smartphone users, the company has promised to provide “service support and software updates” for a “period of time which will vary by region.
” LG is still in the process of rolling out the 7-month-old Android 11 operating system on some of its smartphones, and it’s now unclear if any of its phones will receive Android 12 when it launches later this year.
Business
Taiwo Afolabi calls on African businesses to scale up their operations for global relevance

Business
National Single Window goes live in March, 2026

Business
Access bank laments cargo glut, financial losses to importers caused by its service glitch

Headlines3 months agoThe rise of Olatunji Disu: From Aide-De-Camp (ADC) in 1999 to IGP in 2026
Headlines3 months agoNRC plans electric rail operations across the country- Opeifa
Headlines3 months agoNIWA Lagos Area Manager, Sarat Braimah, wins Nelson Mandela Pan African Leadership Award
Economy3 months agoNigeria’s Oil exports face threat as US- Israel attack on Iran escalates, Strait of Hormuz blockade imminent
Headlines3 months agoLekki Port boosts Nigeria’s trade surge as NPA releases 2025 operational performance
Customs3 months agoApapa Customs, Navy deepen partnership for seamless cargo movement along Apapa port corridor







