Headlines
IMO seeks safe passage corridors to evacuate 100 stranded ships in Ukraine

Russia’s military took control of waterways when it invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, in what Moscow calls a “special operation”.
Ukrainian maritime officials have told Reuters fighting has left around 100 foreign-flagged vessels and hundreds of mariners stranded in Ukrainian ports.
Last week, a seafarer was killed at the Ukrainian port of Olvia after a missile struck his Bangladesh-flagged cargo ship. Projectiles have hit four other vessels in recent days with one sunk.
The UN’s International Maritime Organization (IMO) convened a virtual meeting on Thursday and Friday to discuss the escalating situation.
A statement afterward said the IMO’s Secretary-General, Kitack Lim “indicated his commitment to take immediate action to realise the blue safe maritime corridor with the cooperation and collaboration of the relevant parties, including littoral states”.
It said a maritime corridor would “allow the safe evacuation of seafarers and ships from the high-risk and affected areas in the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov to a safe place”.
Ukraine has accused the Russian military of targeting Olvia port facilities in a missile strike, while Russia’s embassy in Dhaka said last week the circumstances of the incident involving the Bangladesh ship were “being established”.
The IMO meeting was held with its Council, which consists of 40 member countries who are elected for two years.
The IMO statement said the council “deplored the attacks of the Russian Federation aimed at commercial vessels, their seizures, including search-and-rescue vessels”.
The Council separately demanded that Russia “cease its unlawful activities to ensure the safety and welfare of seafarers and the security of international shipping and the marine environment in all affected areas”.
Russia’s IMO representatives could not be immediately reached for comment on Friday.
Headlines
NIMASA deepens maritime security as 492 Deep Blue personnel graduate in tactical training.


Headlines
WHO honors NFVCB over tobacco control in entertainment industry

Business
Taiwo Afolabi calls on African businesses to scale up their operations for global relevance

Headlines3 months agoThe rise of Olatunji Disu: From Aide-De-Camp (ADC) in 1999 to IGP in 2026
Headlines3 months agoNRC plans electric rail operations across the country- Opeifa
Headlines3 months agoNIWA Lagos Area Manager, Sarat Braimah, wins Nelson Mandela Pan African Leadership Award
Economy3 months agoNigeria’s Oil exports face threat as US- Israel attack on Iran escalates, Strait of Hormuz blockade imminent
Headlines3 months agoLekki Port boosts Nigeria’s trade surge as NPA releases 2025 operational performance
Customs3 months agoApapa Customs, Navy deepen partnership for seamless cargo movement along Apapa port corridor







