Connect with us

Headlines

Nigeria missing as Kenya, five other nations vie for IMO Sec. Gen

Kitack Lim, the out going IMO Sec. Gen.
—- Kitack Lim steps down as IMO Sec, Gen in December
The eyewitness reporter with agency report
There is an ongoing scramble among six countries to succeed the outgoing Secretary General of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Mr. Kitack Lim who steps down in December this year.
A new Secretary General would be elected in June, this year.
Stakeholders in Nigeria’s Maritime industry bemoaned the continued failure of Nigeria to clinch the coveted Category C of the IMO which they lamented has continued to rub the country of lucrative positions in the global maritime body.
Among the member -countries of the IMO who wants to succeed South Korean technocrat is Kenya, which is sponsoring its IMO representative,  Nancy Karigithu.
Up to six names are expected to be put forward as the next Secretary-General of the world’s supreme shipping body by Friday, replacing South Korean Kitack-Lim who steps down at the end of the year, with no European candidate so far.

Two of the front-runners are high-ranking officials from within the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), expected to be proposed by Panama and Kenya, with Turkey’s candidacy getting a boost from rival Greece.

Panama has proposed Arsenio Dominguez, the current IMO head of marine environment, while Kenya wants the top job to go to Nancy Karigithu, the country’s IMO representative.

Dominica and Bangladesh may also submit names, with the Caribbean state proposing World Maritime University president Cleopatra Doumbia-Henry, while a Danish candidate may also be in the running.

The 40-member IMO Council, of which Cyprus is a member, will elect the next Secretary-General in July.

This decision will then be submitted to the 33rd session of the IMO Assembly on November 27-December 6, when the 40 new members of the Council will also be elected.

A candidate from Cyprus is regarded as ‘highly unlikely’, despite former deputy minister for shipping, Vassilis Demetriades, being approached by European members of the IMO.

“I was sounded out by several European members, due to the lack of any other European candidate,” Demetriades told the Financial Mirror.

He said he was assured of support from a number of European members, but the fact remained that candidacies are put forward by IMO member states, not individuals.

“The fact that I was considered, is a great honour for me, and recognises my previous 12-year career within the European Commission, as well as Shipping Deputy Minister for Cyprus,” he said.

“The EU is my family. I did my duty and served the previous administration quite well, I believe.”

A Cypriot candidate would throw a spanner in the works of Greek-Turkish rapprochement after Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu received official support from Athens for Suat Hayri Aka, the former undersecretary for maritime affairs at the Turkish transport ministry.

In turn, Nicos Dendias was given assurance from Ankara regarding Greece’s membership for a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

Raising concerns that a Turkish Secretary-General of the IMO would be to the detriment of the Cyprus shipping sector, President Nikos Christodoulides said on Monday that, “the Republic of Cyprus is a member state of the IMO and is elected to a very high position by the Organisation’s plenary session.

“There is no issue with the probable election of a Turkish Secretary-General of the Organisation,” he said.

He added that “the Secretary General of the International Maritime Organisation operates based on the Statutes of the said Organisation.”

“Beyond that, the elections are in June, nominations are still being submitted, and Friday is the last day.

“There was an exchange of support between Greece and Turkey, and I understand it was agreed when Mr. Dendias visited Turkey because of the earthquakes.

“The potential strengthening of relations between the two countries is something that we will also capitalise on.

“Everybody realizes that the Republic of Cyprus cannot support Turkey’s candidacy, simply because Turkey does not allow ships flying the Cypriot flag to approach its ports.

“It would not be possible on our part to support such a nomination,” Christodoulides concluded.

The Cypriot president was expected to raise the issue of the Turkish embargo on Cyprus-flag ships and cooperation of the two maritime nations during his first meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on March 13, soon after his election.

He told shipping executives during a meeting in Limassol a few days earlier that the importance of Cyprus and Greek shipping is crucial to the EU.

“When we talk about European shipping, in effect, we are talking about Cyprus and Greek shipping.

” Through joint actions, we need to upscale the priority with which the EU deals with maritime matters.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Sallah celebration: Osun govt offers free train ride to indigenes as NRC increases Lagos–Ibadan Train Trips for Sallah

Gloria Odion, maritime reporter 
The Osun State government has made full payment to the Nigerian Railway Corporation( NRC) for the use of its narrow gauge rail services to transport the indigenes of the state free of charge for the Sallah celebration.
The annual gesture was confirmed by the management of the Corporation while announcing a temporary increase  in train services on the Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) corridor for Tuesday, May 26, 2026, ahead of the Sallah celebration.
The NRC revealed that the Osun government free train ride will be on its narrow gauge corridor.
The special train will depart from Iddo Station, Lagos, on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, while the return trip from Osogbo to Lagos will take place on Thursday, May 28, 2026.
The service, which is usually operated during festive periods, is being sponsored by the Osun State Government through a paid arrangement with the Nigerian Railway Corporation to convey Osun indigenes free of charge for the Sallah celebration.
Meanwhile, the Corporation has announced an adjustment to its schedule on its Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) corridor for Tuesday, May 26, 2026, ahead of the Sallah
The temporary adjustment is aimed at accommodating the expected increase in passenger movement as many Nigerians travel to celebrate the festive season with their families and loved ones.
Under the special arrangement, the Corporation will operate six train trips on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, instead of the usual four trips currently operated on the corridor.
For the day, train departures from the Lagos end will be at 7:45am, 1:40pm and 4:00pm, while departures from the Ibadan end will be at 8:00am, 10:50am and 4:30pm.
The Management clarified that this arrangement is strictly temporary and applies only to the Sallah travel period.
 Immediately after the celebration, the normal Tuesday timetable of four trips will resume.
Similarly, the recently introduced Thursday six-trip operations will be temporarily adjusted next week, as only four trips will operate on Thursday May,  28th during the period under review.
The regular six-trip Thursday schedule will however resume the following week.
The NRC reassured passengers of its commitment to providing safe, efficient and reliable rail transportation services across the country and wishes all Nigerians a peaceful and memorable Sallah celebration.
Continue Reading

Headlines

NRC expresses fresh concerns over consistent railway vandalism in the North 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has raised serious concern over renewed and coordinated attacks on railway infrastructure in parts of the country.
This followed fresh incidents of vandalism recorded in Plateau and Bauchi States.
The Corporation described the disturbing development as a direct attack on critical national infrastructure and an affront on public safety, economic growth and national security.
In one of the latest incidents recorded on May 21, 2026, a truck reportedly loaded with vandalized railway materials became stuck between Kuru and Science School, Kuru in Plateau State, exposing the dangerous activities of criminal elements involved in the destruction and illegal movement of railway materials.
Similarly, along Zango, in Bauchi State, between Kilometer 878 and 889, railway slippers were completely removed on both sides of a level crossing, leaving behind few disjointed rail pieces.
The Corporation warned that such acts could result in catastrophic train accidents, disruption of rail services, loss of lives and destruction of government investments worth billions of naira.
The NRC emphasized that railway tracks, slippers, clips, fastenings and signaling materials are critical national assets built with taxpayers’ money to facilitate transportation, trade, economic activities and national development, and should never be treated as scraps for illegal business.
The Managing Director/CEO of the NRC, Dr. Kayode Opeifa, strongly condemned the persistent attacks on railway facilities, describing the trend as sabotage against national progress and a serious threat to the safety of passengers and railway personnel.
According to him, the increasing incidents of vandalism in the North Central and North East corridors indicate a dangerous pattern that requires urgent collective action from security agencies, state governments, traditional rulers, community leaders and residents living along railway lines.
Dr. Opeifa appealed to Nigerians to see railway infrastructure as a national symbol and strategic economic asset that must be protected at all times.
He warned vandals, scrap dealers and individuals involved in the illegal purchase, movement or destruction of railway materials to desist immediately, stressing that anyone caught would face the full weight of the law.
The Corporation also called on security agencies to intensify surveillance and enforcement operations around railway corridors nationwide, while urging members of the public to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities around railway facilities.
Continue Reading

Headlines

NIMASA opens investigation into vessels collision accident at Bonny anchorage as five crew members sustain injuries 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 

The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Administration(NIMASA) has opened a full scale investigation into the accident which occurred as a result of a collision between a container vessel, MV MAERSK VALPARAISO, and an oil tanker, MT LADY MARTINA, at the Bonny Inner Anchorage.

The accident which occurred on May 20th, 2026, has triggered a flurry of activities,  has resulted in an oil spill in the affected area.

The Deep Blue Operating Base (FOB) in Bonny received a distress call at approximately 1130 hours regarding the collision involving MV Valparaiso, a Singapore-flagged container vessel with IMO No. 9433054, and MT Lady Martina, a Nigerian-flagged oil products tanker with IMO No. 5104033.
In response, the Base immediately deployed 10 armed personnel onboard DB 214, one of the interceptor boats under the Deep Blue Project, to the scene of the incident.
Five crew members onboard MT Lady Martina sustained varying degrees of injuries and were promptly evacuated to the FOB Bonny sickbay for medical attention.

Following the collision, MT Lady Martina drifted ashore and is currently aground along the Bonny Channel, while MV Valparaiso remains grounded at the Bonny Inner Anchorage pending damage assessment and further investigation.

The management of MAERSK has officially reported the incident to the Agency.

Consequently, the Director General of NIMASA, Dayo Mobereola, has ordered a full investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the collision.

In addition, NIMASA has established a Situation Monitoring Room to coordinate response efforts and monitor developments arising from the incident.

Dr. Mobereola, who was personally on ground in Rivers State to inaugurate the situation room,  also directed the Agency’s Marine Environment Management Department to immediately commence an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the affected area, while taking necessary steps to mitigate the impact of the Tier 1 oil sheen and protect the marine environment.

NIMASA promised to  update the public with the outcome of the investigation into the incident.

Continue Reading

Trending