Connect with us

Economy

SON seeks jail term for importers, smugglers of fake , substandard products.

The eyewitness reporter
The Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) has initiated a move to prosecute and jail importers and smugglers who profiteer in fake and substandard products.
According to the immediate past Director General, Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), Mallam Farouk Salim, the action will serve as a deterrent to what he called illicit activities and also protect the indigenous manufacturers and the Nigerian economy.
He said that the agency is committed to defending and protecting indigenous companies and the Nigerian public from economic sabotage.
Speaking with journalists at the destruction site of some seized items in Lagos Thursday, October 12th, 2021, Salim stated that the seized items which include electrical cables, aluminum sheets, motor tyres and motor oil were fake and their quality had been compromised and if used could lead to loss of lives and properties.
He stressed that while the agency is keen on ensuring local industries thrive by providing standards in tandem with best practices across the world,  he lamented that smugglers and imposters work to subvert the process by importing expired and substandard products and erroneously copying established Indigenous brands.
“This is affecting our economy, especially with our government policy on homegrown economy.
“We have to make sure our successful homegrown economy is protected. All these products you are seeing here are a danger to the society.
“That is why we are destroying them. We want to make sure nobody else uses these products.
“Our Nigerian lubricant manufacturers, when successful, unfortunately, have to contend with individuals trying to copy them.
” Nobody copies a product that is not successful. So, the product you are seeing behind does not belong to that popular company.
” It’s somebody trying to fake their product and we took the person to court, he was convicted and then the court gave us permission to confiscate these products and destroy them.
“The same thing with the cables. Our cable industry is one of the most successful industries in Nigeria.
” And like I said, success breeds copying. The only problem is this copying is bad copying.
” All our Nigerian-based cable industries know that people are copying their products.
”The Cable Manufacturing Association of Nigeria keeps a vigilant eye on these fake people. Sometimes they inform us about them, sometimes our intelligence as a group finds those people before even the companies report them.”
The erstwhile SON DG  explained that many cases of motor accidents and house fires are caused by substandard tyres and cable which are smuggled into the economy.
Salim said that the agency will continue to clamp down on smugglers and fake producers of products to ensure a robustly improved standard across all sections of the economy.
He further reiterated that the agency would employ transparency to ensure that it gains public trust and cooperation.
“Sometimes,when we confiscate items, the owners will go to court because they will not let us have permission to destroy them.
” And because of that, some of these items have been sitting here for a while. And once in a while, when everything is done and we have permission from the courts, we have to come here and we invite the owners to come and witness too.
” Because we don’t want them to think we are confiscating their goods and then selling it to somebody else.”
He also added that the agency is looking to receive the necessary approval to prosecute and sentence offenders in this regard to serve as a deterrent to other Nigerians who may be looking to venture into this evil trade.
“We went to the National Assembly to review our act to make sure peddlers of life-threatening materials are actually jailed and not just fined.”
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

News Alert! Tinubu sacks Wale Edun as Finance Minister in cabinet reshuffle, appoints Taiwo Oyedele as replacement 

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has carried out a major reshuffle exercise in his cabinet in which he dropped the Minister of Finance and the Coordinating Minster, Mr Wale Edun.
Taiwo Oyedele, who was recently appointed as the Minister of State for the Ministry, has now replaced the sacked Edun.
Also removed in the reshuffle exercise was the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Ahmed Dangiwa.
A statement on Tuesday, April 21st, 2026,by the Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Yomi Odunuga, said the development was contained in a memo signed by the
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume.According to the memo, Taiwo Oyedele has been appointed as the new Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy.
Also appointed was Dr. Muttaqha Darma as Minister-designate for Housing and Urban Development.

The memo directed the outgoing ministers to complete handover processes to their respective successors or supervising officials.It stated that all handing over and taking over activities must be concluded on or before the close of business on Thursday, 23rd April, 2026.

Explaining the decision, Akume said the changes were aimed at improving coordination and strengthening delivery across key sectors of the economy under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

“These changes are aimed at strengthening cohesion, synergy in governance as well as achieving more impactful delivery on the economy to Nigerians, through the Renewed Hope Agenda,” Akume stated.

He added that President Tinubu acted in line with his constitutional powers as provided under Sections 147 and 148 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

The SGF also conveyed the President’s appreciation to the outgoing ministers for their service to the nation and wished them well in their future endeavours, noting that the process of cabinet reinvigoration would remain continuous.

The statement further noted that Taiwo Oyedele was appointed as Minister of State for Finance in March 2026, while Edun was among the ministers appointed on August 16, 2023.

Continue Reading

Economy

Tinubu assents to 2026 Appropriation bill , extends 2025 budget implementation 

Funso OLOJO, Editor
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has assented to the 2026 Appropriation Bill, which provides for an aggregate expenditure of ₦68.32 trillion.
He has also signed the bill extending the implementation period for the 2025 budget from March 31, 2026, to June 30, 2026.
The N68.32 trillion budget for this year earmarks N4.799 trillion for statutory transfers and N15.8 trillion for debt service.
It allocates N15.4 trillion to recurrent expenditure and N32.2 trillion to the Development Fund for Capital Expenditure.
According to the statement signed by Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President on information and Strategy, with capital expenditure accounting for about 50 per cent, the 2026 budget underscores the administration’s continued commitment to economic stability, national security, infrastructure development, and inclusive growth.
The allocations reflect a strategic balance between statutory obligations, debt servicing, recurrent expenditure, and capital investments critical to driving productivity and improving the quality of life for Nigerians.
Additionally, the President has assented to the Appropriation (Repeal and Enactment) (Amendment) Bill, 2026, which extends the implementation period of the capital component of the 2025 Appropriation Act from March 31, 2026, to June 30, 2026.
The extension will ensure the full and effective utilisation of appropriated funds, particularly for critical infrastructure and development projects that are at advanced stages of implementation across the country.
It will enable Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) to consolidate ongoing works, enhance project completion rates, and maximise value for public expenditure.
With the 2026 Appropriation Act coming into force on April 1, the Federal Government will commence full implementation in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda.
President Tinubu directed MDAs to ensure disciplined, transparent, and efficient utilisation of allocated resources, with a strong emphasis on value for money and timely project delivery.
He commended the leadership and members of the National Assembly for their diligence, cooperation, and patriotism in expeditiously considering and passing the budget.
The President reaffirmed the importance of sustained collaboration between the Executive and Legislative arms of government in advancing national development objectives.
He further assured Nigerians of his administration’s resolve to deepen fiscal reforms, enhance revenue generation, and prioritise investments that will stimulate economic growth, create jobs, and strengthen social protection mechanisms.
Continue Reading

Economy

NNPC attributes increased crude oil production to enhanced security surveillance of pipelines in Niger- Delta

Funso OLOJO, Editor

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) has confirmed that national crude oil production has grown from a historic low of 960,000 barrels per day in 2022 to an average of 1.71 million barrels per day and a peak production of 1.84 million barrels per day in 2025, owing to the establishment of the integrated energy security for pipelines in the Niger Delta.

Group Chief Executive Officer of NNPC Ltd, Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari, made the disclosure at the Parliamentary Roundtable on the State of Pipelines Security which held at the National Assembly, in Abuja, on Wednesday, April 8th, 2026.

Speaking on the success of the security arrangement, Ojulari explained that it was not accidental, and that it involved an “integrated energy security model that combines legislative and executive policy alignment, actionable intelligence, kinetic deployment capabilities, regulatory oversight, industry cooperation, and community‑embedded surveillance mechanisms”.

He said the resurgence of production due to the effective tackling of the twin menace of oil theft and pervasive pipeline sabotage has led to the restoration of investors’ confidence in the nation’s oil and gas sector.

In his welcome address, the President of the Senate, Sen. Godswill Akpabio, represented by Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, called for collaboration among agencies and stakeholders in resolving all challenges impeding production growth.

On his part, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who was represented by the Leader of the House, Hon. (Prof.) Julius Ihonvbere, urged the forum to evaluate the progress made so far with a view to ensuring fairness and equity.

The Parliamentary Roundtable on the State of Pipelines Security was convened by the Joint Senate and House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum Resources.

It had in attendance the Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives, National Security Adviser, Minister of Defence, and representatives of oil industry regulatory agencies.

The Roundtable also featured presentations by the Chief of Defence Staff, Inspector General of Police, Director General of the Department of State Services, Commandant General of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, and private security companies.

Continue Reading

Trending