Connect with us

Customs

Freight Forwarders may drag Customs to WCO over VIN controversy

Kayode Farinto, VP, ANLCA
—-say 30-day window not enough to clear backlog of cargo
Opeyemi Adesogbon
There seems no end to the war of attrition between the Nigeria Customs Service and the agitating freight forwarders over the controversial Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) evaluation policy.
The freight forwarders, who seem not satisfied with the way the Customs authority is handling the issues despite the suspension of the policy, have vowed to drag the revenue-generating agency before the World Customs Organisation (WCO) for resolution of the impasse.
Ventilating the grievances of the Customs brokers, Kayode Farinto, the Vice President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA) said the confraternity of the clearing agents has mapped out a multi-prong approach to tackling the problem of VIN and making the Customs authority play the game by the rules.
Farinto, in an exclusive interview with our reporter over the weekend, lamented that the agency has not yet engaged the agitating freight forwarders in any strategic discussion on how the VIN policy would be reviewed.
“The customs haven’t engaged us in discussion up till now. If we have not forced them to do the right thing, probably the 30-day window they conceded to us would not have been possible.
”It is unfortunate that Nigeria is a country where anything goes. By now, somebody should have lost his job for making Importer pay over N600millon as storages charges, which was not the fault of the importers but due to lack of professionalism of the Customs, which is very very unfortunate,” Farinto lamented
He revealed that the customs brokers have decided to, first of all, take the customs before the National Assembly and if nothing meaningful comes out of that, the body will eventually petition the World Customs Organisation (WCO).
“We are going to report this issue to the National Assembly and by next week(this week), a letter will be going to the National Assembly on this issue in the interest of the nation.
“What happened at the National Assembly yesterday( last week Thursday) on the issue of e-invoicing and e-valuation where CBN thought that it can arrogate power to herself and we had to go there and discuss it.
“We must force Customs to go to National Assembly which will be subjected to debate and we will now look at the laws.
“There are two laws that we are talking about (1) we have the Customs and Excise Management Act (2)we have legal notice 30 which talk about wear and tear, wear and tear means that by virtue of your year of manufacture, you are entitled to 10% rebate, even a 2021  used vehicle, if you import it to Nigeria now, whatever is the value of that vehicle is entitled to 10 percent rebate and most of these vehicles are even entitled to 50% rebate, so what we were telling customs is that the value you have gotten, where did you get it from? where did it emanate from?
“We are talking about artificial intelligence, the issue of artificial intelligence deals with data and existing data.
“Where did you get your data from, what they did was to go on the internet, look at values, supposed values, assumed values that they imputed into the system. That is criminal, it’s illegal, it’s not in line with international best practices, it’s not professional.
“If WCO hears about this, it is going to expose Nigeria customs and we are going to give National Assembly one week, if by one week nothing is done, we will report this whole issue to WCO because in Nigeria now, we are suffering” declared the ANLCA Chief.
Farinto, who said the 30-day window created by the customs to enable the clearance of the backlog of cargo caught up in the strike action would not be enough, claimed that some importers have decided to suspend importation due to VIN controversy and watch until there is a clear-cut direction taken by the customs.
He further claimed importers have incurred a whooping sum of N600m demurrage charges due to the strike action instigated by the VIN controversy.
“They won’t be able to clear the backlog of goods within the 30-day period”
“I have like 20 importers who have told me that they would stop importation because they said they didn’t have an enabling environment, that the situation is unclear” Farinto declared.
“So, the 30- day window will not be enough and even at that, it is expected that they should engage the stakeholders. Who are the stakeholders, we are the licensed Customs agents?
“The WCO (WORLD CUSTOMS ORGANIZATION) yearbook 2013, said that every Customs nation must engage the stakeholders,  the licensed Customs brokers in the area of operations, and that will give you the smooth running of the operation, that will make you achieve whatever is your policy.
“The Customs cannot shave our heads in our absence.   Whether they like it or not, it’s a two ways thing.
” Nigeria customs service is looking at this as a bossy affair, it’s not true. We have licensed Customs Agents, I pay duties on behalf of my importers.
” All Customs does is to midwife the duties we pay. So the issue that Customs generate revenue is even an aberration, it is a wrong use of English Language.
“When you say somebody generates revenue, that means someone takes the money to the bank, and that is what we do and then give Customs the receipt who then midwife whatever we have paid.
“Our Customs operations here in Nigeria is still in a medieval stage despite the so-called automation processes.
“Even the Customs operations in the neighboring Cotonou is far better as they operate according to international best practices.” the ANLCA stated.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Customs

Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Authorized Economic Operator (AEO), one of the trade facilitation tools introduced by the Nigeria Customs Service in 2025, has begun to yield bountiful harvests with the revenue growth of ₦362.79 billion recorded in 2025.
According to the AEO scorecard released by the Service, the facilitation tool grossed the sum of N1.585 trillion after certification, an increase revenue from N1.222 trillion before certification.
This represents the growth of N362.79 billion(29.68 per cent) for 51 AEO – certified entities as at October, 2025.
The Programme, according to the NCS,  also contributed 21.77% to its total revenue collection of ₦7.281 trillion in 2025, while customs duties paid rose by 85.66% due to enhanced compliance and increased volumes of legitimate trade.
According to AEO Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Report, the Programme achieved an average compliance rate of 85.45 per cent with the highest at 100 per cent and the lowest at 60 per cent.
“The evaluation applied rigorous methodologies to ensure objectivity, transparency, and alignment with the World Customs Organisation (WCO) SAFE Framework of Standards and the provisions of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
“In the area of trade facilitation, AEO participation reduced average cargo clearance time from 168 hours to 41 hours, representing a 75.60% time saving.
“Company operating costs declined by 57.2 per cent while demurrage payments dropped by 90 per cent, limiting capital flight to foreign-owned port service providers and strengthening foreign exchange retention.
” Overall trade efficiency improved by 77.11 per  through digitalisation, simplified procedures, and targeted risk management” the Customs declared in the AEO scorecard.
However, the Service singled out with Eight companies for commendation due to their integrity and compliance under the programme.
The companies include Coleman Technical Industries Limited, WACOT Rice Limited, ROMSON Oil Field Services Ltd, WACOT Limited, Chi Farms Ltd, CORMART Nigeria Ltd, PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc, Nigerian Bottling Company Limited and MTN Nigeria Communications Plc.
The Service lauded them for a cumulative voluntary remittance of over a billion naira into the Federation Account following their self-initiated transaction review and disclosure.
“These actions reflect the strengthening of post-clearance audit mechanisms and a growing culture of voluntary compliance within the trading community.
Nevertheless, the Service suspended a firm under the programme for its non- compliance and display of lack of integrity.
The suspended firm engaged in false declaration of consignments contrary to programme obligations.
“Consequently, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, directed the immediate suspension of the company’s AEO status in accordance with the AEO Guidelines, the WCO SAFE Framework of Standards, and Section 112 of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
The NCS reiterated that the AEO Programme is founded on trust, transparency, and continuous compliance.
“While compliant operators will continue to benefit from expedited clearance and reduced inspection, appropriate sanctions will be applied where violations are established.
“The Service remains resolute in safeguarding national revenue, facilitating legitimate trade, and preserving the integrity and global credibility of Nigeria’s AEO framework” the NCS concluded in the report.
Continue Reading

Customs

Customs takes delivery, commissions 60- bed hospital donated by BUA Group in Bauchi

Gloria Odion, Maritime Reporter 
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, officially commissioned the Abdul Samad Rabiu / Nigeria Customs Service Hospital in Bauchi, a 60-bed healthcare facility constructed and donated by Abdul Samad Rabiu, Chairman of ASR Africa and Founder/Executive Chairman of BUA Group.
The hospital, delivered through the Abdul Samad Rabiu Africa Initiative, is expected to significantly expand healthcare access for Customs officers, their families and host communities across Zone ‘D’ and neighbouring states.
Describing the project as a strategic welfare investment, the CGC said the facility reflects the Service’s commitment to strengthening institutional capacity through improved personnel wellbeing.
 “This commissioning is a clear statement that the NCS prioritises the health and welfare of its officers,” he stated.
“A modern Service requires not only technology and operational reforms, but also strong social infrastructure that supports those who serve.”
In his remarks, the Managing Director/CEO of ASR Africa, Dr Ubon Udoh, emphasised the intervention’s sustainability focus.
“ASR Africa is committed to impact-driven philanthropy,” he said. “Our partnership with the NCS demonstrates what can be achieved when private sector commitment aligns with institutional reform and clear developmental goals.”
Also delivering a message on behalf of the Executive Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed, the Secretary to the State Government, Aminu Hammayo, described the commissioning as a boost to the state’s healthcare ecosystem.
“This facility will complement existing public health institutions and improve access to specialised services,” he said.
 “It reflects the value of collaboration between government and responsible corporate entities.”
The hospital’s commissioning marks the culmination of a phased transformation that began in 2008 with the establishment of a basic health post at the Zone ‘D’ Headquarters, Bauchi.
It was subsequently upgraded to a clinic, and later a medical centre, before a 2023 partnership between the NCS and ASR Africa converted it into a 30-bed hospital, completed in April 2025.
Following a needs assessment, the CGC approved the remodelling and expansion of the facility into a 60-bed secondary healthcare facility with selected tertiary services.
Now equipped with seven clinical departments: Nursing Services, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pharmacy and Medical Laboratory, alongside Administrative and Health Information Management units, as well as Dental, Radiology and Nutrition units.
The hospital is projected to manage up to 300 patients per month during its first operational year.
Long-term expansion plans include advanced diagnostics such as CT scans and MRI, as well as specialised surgical procedures, positioning the facility as a referral centre across the North-East and parts of North-Central Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Customs

Ahead of Customs’ paperless operations in June, Comptroller Onyeka declares Tin Can Customs trade enabler

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
Barely few days after the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, announced that the Customs will migrate to paperless operations in June, 2026, the Tin Can command of the Service has made an elaborate preparation to key into the digital platform.
Even though, the Customs High Command is yet to release the blue print for the take -off of the digital revolution in goods clearance, the Controller of Tin Can Customs, Comptroller Frank Onyeka, has declared that his command is ready to hit the ground running.
To this end, Comptroller Onyeka has declared Tin Can Island Customs as a trade enabler where seamless operations will be the order of the day.
While speaking with the maritime media on Tuesday, February 17th, 2026, Onyeka stated that as long as an importer or his agent makes an honest declaration and the consignment is not flagged, such goods will leave the customs control within the 48 hours clearance time being envisaged by the Customs under its paperless operations regime.
Comptroller Onyeka further disclosed that his command will aim at collecting collectable revenue instead of maximum revenue which often leaves no room for trader to handle logistics costs and other sundry charges.
“By focusing on collectable revenue, we ensure that the trader makes profit, return to the market and continues to contribute to the society.
“I want to be known as a trade enabler personified” Comptroller Onyeka enthused.
While making projection into the year 2026, the Customs chief said the command recorded a lot of positives in 2025 when it surpassed the revenue target for that year and when a record revenue collection of 26 billion was recorded in a single day, a feat that was unprecedented in the history of the command.
Onyeka said the command started the year 2026 on a good revenue trajectory with the collection of  N145. 9bn in January, representing a 25.3 percent increase when compared to the N116.4billon  collected in January 2025.
He acknowledged the support of the media for its “constructive reportage” which acted as a catalyst for the good performance of the command in 2025.
While soliciting for the continued support of journalists in 2026, Comptroller Onyeka said his officers have been well primed to confront the challenges ahead.
He dismissed the fears of possible network glitches which stakeholders expressed may hamper the success of the paperless operations, saying such eventuality will be surmounted just as the teething problems which plagued B’ Odogwu platform at take off were conquered.
“Despite the teething problems with B’Odogwu,  we have recorded tremendous success, so we are ready for the paperless operations.
“There could be network issues but I want to urge the trading public to build capacity.
“With that, you can complete container clearance entirely online, with no physical contact with customs officers.
“If your declaration is not flagged, the process will be seamless, there will be no reason to come and see anyone.
“We cannot guarantee a perfect system from day one, but those challenges will not stop us.
” The more traders declare correctly and honestly, the smoother this process becomes for everyone,” he declared while advising importers to palletise their consignments.
It could be recalled that while launching the Customs’ One- Stop- Shop(OSS) on Friday, February 13th, 2026, the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed that the Service is advancing toward a fully paperless customs environment, with the first phase of digital clearance and documentation processes scheduled for rollout by the end of the second quarter of 2026.
“This platform is a deliberate shift from fragmented interventions to coordinated governance, from discretion to data, and from isolated actions to collective responsibility,” Adeniyi had declared.
 “Through this reform, we continue to build systems that support lawful trade, protect national interests and serve the economy with professionalism and integrity.” he concluded.
Continue Reading

Trending