Connect with us

Customs

Uncertainty over Customs’ N3 trillion revenue target for 2022

CGC, Ali
—-collects N2.1 trillion in 10 months
—sacks 2,000 corrupt officers in 7 years
The Eyewitness reporter
Uncertainty hovers on the chances of the  Nigeria Customs Service meeting its 2022 revenue target of N 3.019 trillion due to the slur in the importation of goods and other policies of the government which have stifled imports.
Two months into the end of the year, the service has managed to gross about N2.143 trillion in revenue from January to October, leaving a balance of about one trillion Naira.
Even though the Comptroller General of Customs, Col.Hameed Ali(rtd) said the service would meet the target by the end of the year, but analysts said that the Customs helmsman’s tone lacks enthusiasm and confidence.
“We were given a target of N3.019 trillion for the year 2022 and we have so far collected N2.143 trillion so, we are working towards making sure that we get to the target.
” The collection of telecommunication and carbonated drinks tax is part of the target given to us but up till now, we have not started collecting that, which we will do.
“But we are working very assiduously to make sure that we block all leakages and by the end of December, we will report to Nigerians that we have met our over three trillion naira target,” he said.
While speaking during the weekly presidential media chat in Abuja Thursday, Ali said that the service will do all that it could to meet the target.
Similarly, the Customs’ strongman revealed that the service has axed 2,000 officers in the last seven years for compromising behaviours.
He however warned the general public to be wary of being scammed by such dismissed officers.
Ali further disclosed that smuggling activities have taken more dangerous dimensions but assured that his men and officers have also stepped up their game to beat the perpetrators of the illicit practice to their game.
According to him, the organisation is already conducting an intensive patrol around the borders, in collaboration with security agencies to realize the goal.

“We have agreed on the constitution of what we call the Joint Border Patrol Team.
“Today, we have a conglomeration of the Army, Airforce, and all other security agencies that have together under one roof to ensure the security of our borders.
” The team comprises both the military and paramilitary, with Customs as the leading agency because we are the gatekeepers in this operation.

“We have about four sectors from Cross River State up to Yobe. We are not covering between Borno and parts of the Adamawa States because of the ongoing military operation there.

“Therefore, the military has asked us to keep off those areas because they are handling that and until the areas are secured, we will not be able to go there. ”

Ali added that technology will also be deployed to further secure the borders, in line with current global best practices.

“Secondly, we are trying to increase our arsenal by increasing our capacity to be able to fight the smugglers and ensure we monitor our borders.

.”The modernisation process that we are putting in place, otherwise called e-Custom, has an inbuilt system for border monitoring which will be linked to ICT systems and cloud information.

“We are working with the Airforce to make sure that we monitor our borders and ensure effective control.

“We intend to have more aircraft as well as talking with the Army to train our officers to learn to para drop so that they will be able to intercept the actions of smugglers,” he added.

The Customs Boss said Nigeria is working closely with her neighbours to fortify the borders.

“We are making sure that we work closely with our neighbour as that is the best way of solving this problem.

“If we have a good understanding of our neighbouring countries and we work based on the ECOWAS protocol, all these things will stop.

“Between us and Nigeria Republic, we have almost a perfect system in place and if there is a problem, it is only minimal cases of smuggling.

“Where we problem is on our borders with the Benin Republic but we are working with them to see if we can create a synergy to be able to protect ourselves and protect each other,” Ali stated.
On seized goods, he said the Customs Service gives food items to displaced persons and the needy, based on the directives of President Muhammadu Buhari.
” He said they distribute the food items in conjunction with the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration (NAFDAC).

“What we do with the seized goods such as rice, tomatoes, and the rest, are given to the needy.

“In the past, we either sold or destroyed them. But with the coming of this administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, being a compassionate leader has given directives.

“So, all perishable goods seized by the Customs are now given to the needy.

“Primarily we were giving them to the displaced persons because before the advent of the flood and banditry, the displaced persons were the most pronounced people in need but now the President has mandated the Nigeria Customs Service to ensure that all perishable items are given to these people to alleviate their suffering. ”
On the automation of the service, Ali also revealed that the process is in progress which he said will lead to the electronic processing of goods and taxes.

He said when all activities of the Customs are fully automated, it will enhance revenue generation and prevent the import of illicit goods into Nigeria as well as monitor the country’s borders.

He said the automation is a 20-year project that will cost about 3.8 billion dollars to actualise.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Customs

Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Authorized Economic Operator (AEO), one of the trade facilitation tools introduced by the Nigeria Customs Service in 2025, has begun to yield bountiful harvests with the revenue growth of ₦362.79 billion recorded in 2025.
According to the AEO scorecard released by the Service, the facilitation tool grossed the sum of N1.585 trillion after certification, an increase revenue from N1.222 trillion before certification.
This represents the growth of N362.79 billion(29.68 per cent) for 51 AEO – certified entities as at October, 2025.
The Programme, according to the NCS,  also contributed 21.77% to its total revenue collection of ₦7.281 trillion in 2025, while customs duties paid rose by 85.66% due to enhanced compliance and increased volumes of legitimate trade.
According to AEO Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Report, the Programme achieved an average compliance rate of 85.45 per cent with the highest at 100 per cent and the lowest at 60 per cent.
“The evaluation applied rigorous methodologies to ensure objectivity, transparency, and alignment with the World Customs Organisation (WCO) SAFE Framework of Standards and the provisions of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
“In the area of trade facilitation, AEO participation reduced average cargo clearance time from 168 hours to 41 hours, representing a 75.60% time saving.
“Company operating costs declined by 57.2 per cent while demurrage payments dropped by 90 per cent, limiting capital flight to foreign-owned port service providers and strengthening foreign exchange retention.
” Overall trade efficiency improved by 77.11 per  through digitalisation, simplified procedures, and targeted risk management” the Customs declared in the AEO scorecard.
However, the Service singled out with Eight companies for commendation due to their integrity and compliance under the programme.
The companies include Coleman Technical Industries Limited, WACOT Rice Limited, ROMSON Oil Field Services Ltd, WACOT Limited, Chi Farms Ltd, CORMART Nigeria Ltd, PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc, Nigerian Bottling Company Limited and MTN Nigeria Communications Plc.
The Service lauded them for a cumulative voluntary remittance of over a billion naira into the Federation Account following their self-initiated transaction review and disclosure.
“These actions reflect the strengthening of post-clearance audit mechanisms and a growing culture of voluntary compliance within the trading community.
Nevertheless, the Service suspended a firm under the programme for its non- compliance and display of lack of integrity.
The suspended firm engaged in false declaration of consignments contrary to programme obligations.
“Consequently, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, directed the immediate suspension of the company’s AEO status in accordance with the AEO Guidelines, the WCO SAFE Framework of Standards, and Section 112 of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
The NCS reiterated that the AEO Programme is founded on trust, transparency, and continuous compliance.
“While compliant operators will continue to benefit from expedited clearance and reduced inspection, appropriate sanctions will be applied where violations are established.
“The Service remains resolute in safeguarding national revenue, facilitating legitimate trade, and preserving the integrity and global credibility of Nigeria’s AEO framework” the NCS concluded in the report.
Continue Reading

Customs

Customs takes delivery, commissions 60- bed hospital donated by BUA Group in Bauchi

Gloria Odion, Maritime Reporter 
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, officially commissioned the Abdul Samad Rabiu / Nigeria Customs Service Hospital in Bauchi, a 60-bed healthcare facility constructed and donated by Abdul Samad Rabiu, Chairman of ASR Africa and Founder/Executive Chairman of BUA Group.
The hospital, delivered through the Abdul Samad Rabiu Africa Initiative, is expected to significantly expand healthcare access for Customs officers, their families and host communities across Zone ‘D’ and neighbouring states.
Describing the project as a strategic welfare investment, the CGC said the facility reflects the Service’s commitment to strengthening institutional capacity through improved personnel wellbeing.
 “This commissioning is a clear statement that the NCS prioritises the health and welfare of its officers,” he stated.
“A modern Service requires not only technology and operational reforms, but also strong social infrastructure that supports those who serve.”
In his remarks, the Managing Director/CEO of ASR Africa, Dr Ubon Udoh, emphasised the intervention’s sustainability focus.
“ASR Africa is committed to impact-driven philanthropy,” he said. “Our partnership with the NCS demonstrates what can be achieved when private sector commitment aligns with institutional reform and clear developmental goals.”
Also delivering a message on behalf of the Executive Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed, the Secretary to the State Government, Aminu Hammayo, described the commissioning as a boost to the state’s healthcare ecosystem.
“This facility will complement existing public health institutions and improve access to specialised services,” he said.
 “It reflects the value of collaboration between government and responsible corporate entities.”
The hospital’s commissioning marks the culmination of a phased transformation that began in 2008 with the establishment of a basic health post at the Zone ‘D’ Headquarters, Bauchi.
It was subsequently upgraded to a clinic, and later a medical centre, before a 2023 partnership between the NCS and ASR Africa converted it into a 30-bed hospital, completed in April 2025.
Following a needs assessment, the CGC approved the remodelling and expansion of the facility into a 60-bed secondary healthcare facility with selected tertiary services.
Now equipped with seven clinical departments: Nursing Services, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pharmacy and Medical Laboratory, alongside Administrative and Health Information Management units, as well as Dental, Radiology and Nutrition units.
The hospital is projected to manage up to 300 patients per month during its first operational year.
Long-term expansion plans include advanced diagnostics such as CT scans and MRI, as well as specialised surgical procedures, positioning the facility as a referral centre across the North-East and parts of North-Central Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Customs

Ahead of Customs’ paperless operations in June, Comptroller Onyeka declares Tin Can Customs trade enabler

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
Barely few days after the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, announced that the Customs will migrate to paperless operations in June, 2026, the Tin Can command of the Service has made an elaborate preparation to key into the digital platform.
Even though, the Customs High Command is yet to release the blue print for the take -off of the digital revolution in goods clearance, the Controller of Tin Can Customs, Comptroller Frank Onyeka, has declared that his command is ready to hit the ground running.
To this end, Comptroller Onyeka has declared Tin Can Island Customs as a trade enabler where seamless operations will be the order of the day.
While speaking with the maritime media on Tuesday, February 17th, 2026, Onyeka stated that as long as an importer or his agent makes an honest declaration and the consignment is not flagged, such goods will leave the customs control within the 48 hours clearance time being envisaged by the Customs under its paperless operations regime.
Comptroller Onyeka further disclosed that his command will aim at collecting collectable revenue instead of maximum revenue which often leaves no room for trader to handle logistics costs and other sundry charges.
“By focusing on collectable revenue, we ensure that the trader makes profit, return to the market and continues to contribute to the society.
“I want to be known as a trade enabler personified” Comptroller Onyeka enthused.
While making projection into the year 2026, the Customs chief said the command recorded a lot of positives in 2025 when it surpassed the revenue target for that year and when a record revenue collection of 26 billion was recorded in a single day, a feat that was unprecedented in the history of the command.
Onyeka said the command started the year 2026 on a good revenue trajectory with the collection of  N145. 9bn in January, representing a 25.3 percent increase when compared to the N116.4billon  collected in January 2025.
He acknowledged the support of the media for its “constructive reportage” which acted as a catalyst for the good performance of the command in 2025.
While soliciting for the continued support of journalists in 2026, Comptroller Onyeka said his officers have been well primed to confront the challenges ahead.
He dismissed the fears of possible network glitches which stakeholders expressed may hamper the success of the paperless operations, saying such eventuality will be surmounted just as the teething problems which plagued B’ Odogwu platform at take off were conquered.
“Despite the teething problems with B’Odogwu,  we have recorded tremendous success, so we are ready for the paperless operations.
“There could be network issues but I want to urge the trading public to build capacity.
“With that, you can complete container clearance entirely online, with no physical contact with customs officers.
“If your declaration is not flagged, the process will be seamless, there will be no reason to come and see anyone.
“We cannot guarantee a perfect system from day one, but those challenges will not stop us.
” The more traders declare correctly and honestly, the smoother this process becomes for everyone,” he declared while advising importers to palletise their consignments.
It could be recalled that while launching the Customs’ One- Stop- Shop(OSS) on Friday, February 13th, 2026, the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed that the Service is advancing toward a fully paperless customs environment, with the first phase of digital clearance and documentation processes scheduled for rollout by the end of the second quarter of 2026.
“This platform is a deliberate shift from fragmented interventions to coordinated governance, from discretion to data, and from isolated actions to collective responsibility,” Adeniyi had declared.
 “Through this reform, we continue to build systems that support lawful trade, protect national interests and serve the economy with professionalism and integrity.” he concluded.
Continue Reading

Trending