Headlines
EU sanctions may put $16b hole in Russia’s tanker fleet
Russia may have to expand its own tanker fleet and attract more tonnage from non-western owners in order to keep moving oil after upcoming EU sanctions – and the details suggest that it will be costly.
In a market report released Friday, shipbroker Gibson said that it expects that more than 200 tankers may have to exit Russian trades before December 5, when the EU’s Russian oil shipping ban (or, if revised, a “price cap”) goes into effect. “It is reasonable to assume that there might be insufficient tonnage to transport Russian oil to market, particularly given that those barrels currently traded to Europe will have to be redirected longer haul,” predicted Gibson.
If the Russian fleet is undersupplied after the departure of western tonnage, sale & purchase deals could rebalance the trade by transferring more ships to parties willing and able to work with Russia. This may already be happening: Gibson counts roughly 100 Aframax and Suezmax sales this year to buyers who would not be affected by EU restrictions, and 40 more VLCC sales.
This ownership shift may be visible in the ice-class tanker fleet, where vessels have changed hands at a rapid clip this year. About four million dwt worth of ice class tanker tonnage – more than 40 ships – were sold over the summer, a Gibson broker told Bloomberg last month. This winter, these vessels will be needed to get Russian oil out of the Baltic from the busy terminals near St. Petersburg.
As it stands today, tanker broker Braemar believes that Russia will come up short by about 70 Aframaxes and 35 Suezmaxes. Filling that gap may be costly, the head of Russia’s second-largest bank said last week.
“According to our estimates, only the tanker fleet expansion may require at least [$16 billion] in the near time. Amid the absence of external financing and limited financial flows of the companies, the role of banks in the attraction of required investments will only increase,” said VTB chairman Andrey Kostin, according to Piter.TV and PortNews.
Headlines
NIWA partners ICPC to strengthen internal transparency in its operations
Headlines
Navy appoints new Maritime Guard Commander for NIMASA
Commodore Adoki, a principal Warfare Officer specializing in communication and intelligence, brings onboard 25 years experience in the Nigerian Navy covering training, staff and operations.
Welcoming the new MGC Commander to the Agency, the Director General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, expressed confidence in Adoki’s addition to the team, emphasising that it will further strengthen the nation’s maritime security architecture given his vast experience in the industry.
The Maritime Guard Command domiciled in NIMASA was established as part of the resolutions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Navy to assist NIMASA strengthen operational efficiency in Nigeria’s territorial waters, especially through enforcement of security, safety and other maritime regulations.
Customs
Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines4 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
