Economy
SON seeks jail term for importers, smugglers of fake , substandard products.
The eyewitness reporter
The Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) has initiated a move to prosecute and jail importers and smugglers who profiteer in fake and substandard products.
According to the immediate past Director General, Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), Mallam Farouk Salim, the action will serve as a deterrent to what he called illicit activities and also protect the indigenous manufacturers and the Nigerian economy.
He said that the agency is committed to defending and protecting indigenous companies and the Nigerian public from economic sabotage.
Speaking with journalists at the destruction site of some seized items in Lagos Thursday, October 12th, 2021, Salim stated that the seized items which include electrical cables, aluminum sheets, motor tyres and motor oil were fake and their quality had been compromised and if used could lead to loss of lives and properties.
He stressed that while the agency is keen on ensuring local industries thrive by providing standards in tandem with best practices across the world, he lamented that smugglers and imposters work to subvert the process by importing expired and substandard products and erroneously copying established Indigenous brands.
“This is affecting our economy, especially with our government policy on homegrown economy.
“We have to make sure our successful homegrown economy is protected. All these products you are seeing here are a danger to the society.
“That is why we are destroying them. We want to make sure nobody else uses these products.
“Our Nigerian lubricant manufacturers, when successful, unfortunately, have to contend with individuals trying to copy them.
” Nobody copies a product that is not successful. So, the product you are seeing behind does not belong to that popular company.
” It’s somebody trying to fake their product and we took the person to court, he was convicted and then the court gave us permission to confiscate these products and destroy them.
“The same thing with the cables. Our cable industry is one of the most successful industries in Nigeria.
” And like I said, success breeds copying. The only problem is this copying is bad copying.
” All our Nigerian-based cable industries know that people are copying their products.
”The Cable Manufacturing Association of Nigeria keeps a vigilant eye on these fake people. Sometimes they inform us about them, sometimes our intelligence as a group finds those people before even the companies report them.”
The erstwhile SON DG explained that many cases of motor accidents and house fires are caused by substandard tyres and cable which are smuggled into the economy.
Salim said that the agency will continue to clamp down on smugglers and fake producers of products to ensure a robustly improved standard across all sections of the economy.
He further reiterated that the agency would employ transparency to ensure that it gains public trust and cooperation.
“Sometimes,when we confiscate items, the owners will go to court because they will not let us have permission to destroy them.
” And because of that, some of these items have been sitting here for a while. And once in a while, when everything is done and we have permission from the courts, we have to come here and we invite the owners to come and witness too.
” Because we don’t want them to think we are confiscating their goods and then selling it to somebody else.”
He also added that the agency is looking to receive the necessary approval to prosecute and sentence offenders in this regard to serve as a deterrent to other Nigerians who may be looking to venture into this evil trade.
“We went to the National Assembly to review our act to make sure peddlers of life-threatening materials are actually jailed and not just fined.”
Continue Reading
Business
National Single Window goes live in March, 2026
– as FG launches phase 1 of the project for trade facilitation
Funso OLOJO
The Federal Government of Nigeria has announced the commencement of Phase 1 of the National Single Window (NSW) Project, scheduled to launch on March 27, 2026.
The launch marks a decisive step toward reforming Nigeria’s trade ecosystem through technology, transparency, and smarter regulation.
The National Single Window is a centralised digital platform designed to simplify and harmonise trade procedures by enabling traders to submit trade-related information once,
through a single interface, while relevant government agencies access, process, and approve the required documentation seamlessly.
The initiative is expected to significantly reduce delays, eliminate duplication, curb inefficiencies, and lower the cost of doing business at Nigeria’s ports and borders.
Speaking on the transformative potential of the project during the inauguration of the project on the 16th of April 2024, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu described the National Single Window as a cornerstone of Nigeria’s trade and economic reform agenda.
“The National Single Window will change the way trade is done in Nigeria. It will replace fragmentation with coordination, opacity with transparency, and delay with efficiency,” says Presidency.
The President added that the NSW aligns with the administration’s commitment to
economic diversification, non-oil export growth, and improved ease of doing business, noting that efficient trade systems are critical to national development.
Also speaking on the initiative, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, described the National Single Window as a game-changer that will simplify and
democratize trade in Nigeria.
Dr. Oduwole explained that the platform will streamline trade documentation through a unified window, enabling greater transparency, improved transaction tracking, and
increased trade volumes.
She added that experienced traders, in particular, would benefit from the efficiency gains offered by the system.
Providing insight into the implementation strategy, Mr. Tola Fakolade, Director of National Single Window Project, explained that the Federal Government has deliberately adopted a phased rollout approach, beginning with Phase 1, which will focus primarily on statutory permits and manifests.
“The National Single Window will be rolled out in phases, starting with Phase 1, which concentrates on statutory permits and cargo manifests,” Mr. Fakolade stated.
“This allows us to stabilise the system, build confidence among stakeholders, and deliver immediate value where bottlenecks are most pronounced.”
According to Mr. Fakolade, the decision to phase the launch reflects lessons learned from previous large-scale technology initiatives that adopted a “big bang” approach.
“We have learned from the flaws of past big bang technological rollouts, where attempting to do everything at once created avoidable disruptions,” he noted.
“Phasing the National
Single Window is a deliberate and strategic choice—one that prioritises sustainability, user adoption, and continuous improvement over speed for speed’s sake.”
He further emphasized that subsequent phases will gradually expand the scope of the platform, onboard additional agencies, and deepen integration across the trade value chain, ensuring a resilient and scalable system.
“This approach ensures that the National Single Window grows with the ecosystem, guided by real data, user feedback, and operational realities,” Mr. Fakolade added.
As Phase 1 goes live, the Federal Government reaffirmed its commitment to working closely with the private sector, development partners, and trade stakeholders to ensure a smooth
transition and shared ownership of the reform.
“By simplifying trade processes and leveraging digital innovation, we are unlocking faster movement of goods, strengthening revenue assurance, and creating a more competitive
environment for Nigerian businesses to thrive locally and globally.” Mr. Fakolade added.
With the launch of the National Single Window, Nigeria takes a bold and pragmatic step towards modern trade governance—one that places efficiency, transparency, and learning at the heart of national progress.
Economy
We haven’t stopped Customs, FIRS, NUPRC, others from deducting cost of revenue collection at source – FG
Funso OLOJO
The Federal government has debunked the widely- held insinuation that it has stopped the standard practice of revenue – generating agencies such as the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to deduct their cost of collection at source.
In a statement issued by the Federal Ministry of Finance and signed by Mohammed Manga, Director of Information and Public Relations in the ministry, at no point did the Minister of Finance and the Coordinating Minister of Economy, Wale Edun, announced the discontinuation of such practice.
“We categorically state that these reports are inaccurate and misleading.
“At no point during his remarks at the Nigeria Development Update (NDU) programme hosted by the World Bank did the Honourable Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr. Wale Edun, announce or imply any change to the existing policy on the cost of collection deductions.
“For the avoidance of doubt, there has been no policy change regarding the deduction of costs of collection at source by revenue-generating agencies. The current framework remains in effect.
“What is underway are ongoing policy discussions in line with the directives of His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, to review cost of collection structure.
“These discussions are part of broader efforts to enhance transparency, efficiency, and value-for-money in public financial management.
“However, no final decision has been made on this matter.
“The Ministry assures all stakeholders and the public that revenue operations continue uninterrupted and that any future adjustments will be guided by due process, stakeholder engagement, and clear communication.
“We urge media organisations to seek clarification from official sources before publishing information that may cause unnecessary confusion.
“The Ministry appreciates the continued support of Nigerians as we work collectively to build a stronger, more transparent, and sustainable economy” the statement concluded
Economy
Le Look Nigeria marks 40 years of ingenious local fabric branded bags on October 1st
Gloria Odion
All is set to mark the 40 years anniversary of Le Look Nigeria Limited, makers of Le look Bags brands.
According to the founder and Chief Executive Officer(CEO), Chief Mrs. Chinwe Ezenwa, arrangements have been concluded to hold the event on October 1, 2025 at Federal Palace Hotel, Lagos.
The event with morning and award night sessions is themed: “Legacy of Resilience: Empowering Entrepreneurs for Africa’s Economic Future.”
Ezenwa added:”Le Look 40th Anniversary is a milestone that celebrates resilience, creativity, and the power of Nigerian enterprise.
“Founded in 1985, Le Look has grown from a small women-led business into a proudly Nigerian manufacturer, exporting unique, locally crafted bags to international markets.
“Over four decades, we have stayed true to our mission of:
Strengthening local manufacturing;
creating jobs and transferring skills;
opening doors for women and youth in enterprise;
supporting Nigeria’s non-oil export drive and the AfCFTA agenda.
“This anniversary is more than a celebration—it is a call to sustain entrepreneurship in Africa’s fast-changing economy,” she noted.
With expected over 300 distinguished guests, including senior government officials, private sector leaders, development partners, and entrepreneurs across generations;
the day will feature keynote address and fireside conversations with veteran entrepreneurs as well as panel sessions on business longevity.
Other features are African Continental Free Trade Agreement(AfCFTA) readiness;
Youth and women forums on inclusive business practices
Exhibitions by government and trade agencies will be part of the activities.
Le Look Nigeria Limited has grown to a global brand with the Le Look Bags Academy built in Abuja, Enugu and Lagos.
Le Look is a manufacturer of afro-centric luxury-life style branded bags inspired by African culture and sensibility.
These handbags are crafted from African prints in celebration of the rich African heritage with international and modern fashion flair.
The company offers multiple product categories, including ready-to-wear, handbags, Apple-support products and other carry-on unique and durable accessories.
“Our partnership with designers in Africa has catalysed the resurgence of retailing locally made goods across the continent,” Ezenwa said.
According to her, “Through our studio in Lagos, we provide on- the-job training, school tuition and health care benefits.
“Our philosophy is simple-to be the first and foremost African luxury brand with global reach”, she added.
Over the years, Le Look Bags Academy has partnered international and government institutions to promote trade and build capacities for the continent.
The Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) last year partnered Le Look Nigeria Limited to boost Nigeria’s non-oil exports and empower local artisans, particularly women and youth in Lagos. This collaboration, includes the launch of an export skills acquisition center and a fashion innovation hub to equip individuals with skills in bag-making and international trade to meet growing global demand for handcrafted bags.
Also, UNDP Nigeria is in partnership with Le Look Bags Academy, to launch a training program designed to equip unemployed youth with limited formal education, primarily women, with practical skills in bag-making as a sustainable livelihood mechanism.
Le Look Bags Academy serves as the leading hub for mastering bag-making and digital technology skills.
The academy provides a unique, personalized approach to equipping learners with the necessary skills to succeed in the dynamic global landscape.
Le Look Nigeria Limited is the first Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) to receive the Authorized Economic Operator (AEO) certificate from the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).
As a certified AEO, Lelook benefits from trade facilitation, reduced costs, and improved efficiency in its export and import activities, supporting Nigeria’s goal of becoming a leading trade hub.
Le Look Nigeria is No 0001 under the AFCFTA guided trade Initiative to receive the Certificate of Origin to trade across Africa
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines4 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
