Connect with us

Uncategorized

CBN defies public outcry as it again raises Customs exchange rate to N1, 413.62/$.

The Eyewitness Reporter
Barely 24 hours after it increased the Customs exchange rate to N1, 356.883 per dollar on Friday, the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) has Saturday morning once again jerked up the rate to N1, 413.62.
The new rate has since been reflected on the Customs trade portal.
The increase was in defiance of the public outcry which greeted Friday’s hike.
Alhaji Tanko Ibrahim, the National Coordinator of the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders(NAGAFF)  told our reporter that the apex bank is not yet done with its fiddling with the Customs exchange rate as it plans to increase it again soon to N1500 per dollar.
 ”I heard from the grapevine that the CBN plans to push the Customs exchange rate to as high as  N1,500 per dollar. That is their target and they are going to do it soon” he has claimed.
The agitated stakeholders were still discussing the impact of Friday’s increase before they were once again hit by yet another hike which commentators feared may lead to the collapse of import business and difficulty of the Nigeria Customs Service to meet its N5.1 trillion revenue target for 2024.
An angry stakeholder who reacted to the latest increase said the development has portrayed the present government as insensitive.
” The whole situation has given away this government as insensitive to the plight of Nigerians.
“While we are still discussing the implications of Friday’s increase and how it going to impact the lives of the ordinary Nigerians, this government went ahead to slam yet another increase.
“I don’t know why a government can be so cruel and insensitive” the irate freight forwarder lamented.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

FIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo 

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
The world Cup ticket which Nigeria’s Super Eagles failed to secure on the field of play have been delivered in FIFA’s boardroom in Zurich, Switzerland.
This followed a decisive verdict in the eligibility dispute between Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo, as the World football governing body overturned the playoff result and awarded qualification to the Super Eagles for the 2026 World Cup.

The ruling was handed down by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee following a formal protest lodged by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) against the Congolese Association Football Federation (FECOFA).At the heart of the matter was the Best Losers Playoff match in the African qualifiers for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

 DR Congo had originally secured a 2–1 victory over Nigeria, seemingly clinching the final qualification slot.

However, Nigeria challenged the outcome, alleging that a DR Congo player — identified in proceedings as Player X — was ineligible to feature in the decisive encounter due to an incomplete nationality switch process.

After reviewing official match documentation, player registration records, and correspondence between FECOFA and FIFA’s Players’ Status Department, the Disciplinary Committee established that the player had previously represented another national association at youth level.

Under FIFA regulations governing player eligibility, any footballer seeking to change national association must formally apply for the switch, receive written approval from FIFA, and obtain official confirmation before participating in any senior “A” international match.

The Committee found that although Player X had initiated the process, formal approval had not been granted before the playoff fixture.

 Crucially, no provisional clearance had been issued to permit temporary participation.

Citing Article 9 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes and Article 21 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the Committee ruled that DR Congo fielded an ineligible player in an official competitive match.

In line with the regulations, the match has been declared forfeited.

The result has been officially recorded as DR Congo 0–3 Nigeria.

Consequently, Nigeria has been proclaimed winner of the Best Losers Playoff Round and awarded qualification to represent Africa at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.The decision marks a major boost for Nigerian football and underscores FIFA’s strict stance on eligibility compliance, particularly in high-stakes fixtures that determine World Cup participation.

While DR Congo has been disqualified from the playoff pathway, the federation retains the right to appeal the ruling before the FIFA Appeals Committee.

In its closing observations, the Committee stressed that strict adherence to nationality switch procedures is vital to maintaining fairness and integrity in international football, warning that administrative processes still in progress do not justify participation without formal approval.

Continue Reading

Headlines

National Film,Video censors board vows to censor  promotion, glamorization of tobacco, narcotics, ritual practices on screen

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
The Executive Director  and the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB), Dr. Shaibu Husseini, has raised an alarm over the promotion and glamorization of tobacco, narcotics and use of ritual practices on home videos, decrying the damage the practice has done on moral values of viewers and their psyche.
Dr Hussein made this observation while playing host to the students of the MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) Acting Academy at the Board’s Lagos office on Wednesday, February 11, 2026.
Addressing critical industry concerns, the NFVCB boss underscored the importance of clear disclaimers in fiction films and ongoing efforts to control some of these unethical practices on the screen.
He reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to fostering a regulatory environment that balances creative freedom with cultural sensitivity.
The visit, led by the Academy Director, Ms. Akaoma Onyeonoru, formed part of an industry excursion designed to expose the next generation of Nollywood actors to the mechanics of film regulation, governance, and ethical compliance.
Welcoming the delegation, Dr. Husseini described the engagement as timely, stressing that the future of Nollywood depends not only on creative excellence but also on regulatory discipline and cultural responsibility.
He reiterated that no film should be distributed or exhibited in Nigeria without proper classification, stressing that the Board is set to intensify enforcement, particularly on digital platforms.
He disclosed that the NFVCB is working towards removing unclassified Nigerian films on digital platforms inline with the mandate of the Board and its Memorandum of Understanding with the platforms.
Filmmakers were therefore urged to comply with classification requirements as it is done in even developed societies, noting that steps have been taken in the present dispensation, to ensure that  registration and approvals are speedily granted when submissions meet regulatory standards.
 He emphasised that the entire process can now be completed online, eliminating the need for physical visits.
Dr. Husseini also revealed that the Board is reintroducing online classification mechanisms and deploying the Magpie verification system to enhance transparency, tracking, and compliance within the industry.
He stated that at no time did the Board ban money rituals in movies. Rather what the Board expects is that movies with such themes must be followed with appropriate disclaimer and corresponding consequences for the depiction.
He clarified that while festival films not intended for public distribution may not require classification, any film released to the general public must undergo the statutory process.
Documentary films as he noted, must maintain factual accuracy and may require classification depending on their distribution scope.
On emerging trends, Dr. Husseini stated that Artificial Intelligence (AI) in film production must be transparently disclosed, with appropriate indemnities executed before distribution.
Beyond regulation, the Executive Director outlined plans to deepen industry development through stakeholder workshops, monetisation training, and legal compliance sessions.
He further revealed that the Board is exploring lower-cost licensing options for smaller cinema operators, while ensuring safeguards to prevent abuse.
He also reiterated his vision to establish a film and video library dedicated to preserving Nigeria’s film and video heritage for future generations.
During the visit, students toured the NFVCB archives and preview facilities, where classification exercises are conducted.
The Board’s Head of Media Literacy, Mrs. Chioma Obasi, briefed them on nationwide school outreach programmes aimed at educating young audiences on film ratings and the distinction between fiction and reality.
The session concluded with an interactive engagement during which students posed questions on licensing, censorship processes, and career pathways within the regulatory ecosystem.
Dr. Husseini expressed his desire to be remembered for fostering a regulatory environment that balances creative freedom with cultural sensitivity, while strengthening institutional capacity and staff welfare.
The visit ended on a celebratory note, with the students expressing appreciation for the Board’s hospitality.
Tokens of appreciation were exchanged between the Acting Academy and the NFVCB leadership.
Continue Reading

Headlines

56 grassroots football clubs play for honour at Taiwo Afolabi Cup tournament

Gloria Odion, Reporter 
No fewer than 56 grassroots football teams will compete for honours as the 10th edition of the Taiwo Afolabi U-17 Football Tournament kicks off in Lagos on Saturday, February 14, 2026.
The tournament, organised by the Lagos State Grassroots Soccer Association (LSGSA) and sponsored by SIFAX Group, is played in honour of Dr Taiwo Afolabi, Chairman, SIFAX Group.
It will feature 32 male teams and 24 female teams, making it one of the largest youth football competitions in the state’s grassroots football calendar.
Preliminary matches will be held at the Ojo Oniyun Sports Centre, Ebute Metta, and the Anthony Mini Stadium, Gbagada, while the grand finale is scheduled for May 2, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Onikan, Lagos.
Speaking at the press conference to announce the tournament, Afuka Abu, the Assistant Secretary of LSGSA, described the competition as a proven platform for discovering and grooming young talents for professional football.
“This tournament has consistently provided young players with the structure, exposure and discipline they need to progress to higher levels of the game.
” Many of our participants have moved on to national teams and professional clubs, and that remains our goal — to give every talented child a genuine opportunity,” Abu said.
SIFAX Group has supported the tournament for a decade as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility commitment to youth empowerment, sports development and community growth.
Oliver Omajuwa, Deputy Director, Strategy and Operations at SIFAX Group, said the sponsorship is rooted in the company’s philosophy of creating lasting value beyond business.
“Talent is everywhere, but opportunity is not,” he said. “This tournament was conceived not just as a competition, but as a platform for discovery, development and hope.
“For us, Corporate Social Responsibility is a long-term responsibility, not a one-time gesture.”
Over the years, the Taiwo Afolabi Cup has produced several standout talents who have gone on to represent Nigeria and secure contracts with clubs in Europe and other international leagues.
Notable players discovered through the competition include Samson Tijani, former Golden Eaglets captain, discovered at the 2019 edition, who currently plays for Dukla Prague in the Czech Republic, Soliu Afolabi, former Flying Eagles player, a player of Slovan Liberec; Chijioke Light, who later represented Nigeria at the WAFU Championship and the Africa Women Cup of Nations, and Ebenezer Ojo of Greater Tomorrow Academy, discovered in 2022, and currently playing in the Norwegian league.
Football stakeholders, scouts, former internationals and administrators are expected to attend the matches to identify emerging talents and provide guidance to participating players.
The 10th anniversary edition will not only celebrate a decade of impact but also raise the standard of grassroots football development in Lagos.
Continue Reading

Trending