The Chairman, Governing Board of the Council for the Regulation of Freight Forwarding Practice in Nigeria ( CRFFN), Abubakar Tsanni, has joined the legion of well-wishers to celebrate the redeployment of Alhaji Mu’azuJaji Sambo to the ministry of transportation as the supervising Minister.
Similarly, the CRFFN boss extended his best wishes to Mr. Ademola Adewole Adegoroye as the new minister of state in the Ministry of Transportation
In his congratulatory message signed by Muftahu Ya’u, the Chairman Committee on Government Inter-Agencies, Media and Public Relations of the Council, Alhaji Tsanni lauded the decision of President Mohammed Buhari over the redeployment of Alhaji Sambo and the appointment of Adegoroye to the ministry of transportation.
According to the CRFFN chairman, Alhaji Sambo was a round peg in a round hole as the Minister of Transportation as he is not new to the industry, coming with a rich background in maritime administration as a former Area Manager of Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA).
Alhaji Tsanni also described the new Minister as an experienced, patriot and hardworking administrator.
“Let me begin by thanking President Muhammad Buhari for the appointment of Alhaji Mu’azu Jaji Sambo to the Ministry of Transportation at a time when the Ministry is in need of a competent, experienced and patriotic leader who shall continue to execute various developmental projects already started by the current administration of President Muhammad Buhari.
“With you as Minister, we clearly see more hope and progress coming to the Ministry.
“We at CRFFN, therefore, congratulate and welcome you to your new office and the Council is ever ready to work hand in hand with you for the success of President Buhari administration’s development agenda for the Transport Sector.
“I pray that God will continue to grant you the wisdom and guidance to keep on with your well-known and well-cherished character of giving your best to the nation and humanity,” Alhaji Tsanni said.
It could be recalled that Alhaji Sambo was newly redeployed from the Ministry of Works and Housing where he was a junior Minister to take over as the substantive Minister of Transportation.
He took over from Rotimi Amaechi, who resigned his appointment to pursue his failed presidential ambition.
Danish court returns guilty verdict on Nigerian pirate —- remands him in prison
A Danish court on Monday found a Nigerian guilty of endangering the lives of Danish military personnel in a shooting incident last November involving Denmark’s navy and a crew of suspected Nigerian pirates in the Gulf of Guinea.
However, the court declined to sentence the Nigerian, Lucky Frances, 40, despite a call from the prosecutor for a prison sentence of 12 to 15 months.
As part of international anti-piracy efforts, Denmark deployed a frigate to the Gulf of Guinea in October last year.
“The court emphasized that the 40-year-old Nigeria, together with the other perpetrators, fulfilled all the signs of piracy and had to be described as a pirate group,” Copenhagen city court said in a statement.
Frances, who was injured during a firefight with Danish navy personnel in the November clash, was taken to Denmark for prosecution in January after being treated at a hospital in Ghana.
Frances was exempted from any legal consequences due to his medical condition and the fact that charges against the other three suspected pirates had been dropped, his lawyer Jesper Storm Thygesen told Reuters.
Charges against the three other suspected Nigerian pirates were dropped in January after Denmark failed to find a country in the region to take them.
Frances will remain in custody until both sides have decided whether to appeal against the verdict, Thygesen said.
Possession of NIN by passengers now requirement for boarding trains—Sambo
” The train driver can see from a distance if there are any threats on the tracts that will enable him to match the break long before getting to the threat, and that is why I am telling you confidently,” said the Minister.
The Minister debunked the rumour that train services will resume on Monday, adding that the newly introduced measures will delay the resumption of business along the corridor for a few more days for passengers to get acquainted with the new protocol involved in train boarding before it will resume services.
“We have not said that train services will start tomorrow. I want to be very categorical about that.
“Now, we have introduced a new system before you buy a ticket. The purchase of a ticket requires you to provide a phone number and a national identification number in order to profile you because that is the beginning of the security checks. So at any point in time when a train moves from one station to another, we know who and who are on board.
“If you don’t have a NIN you are not going to board our train, it is as simple as that. If you are a minor, an adult will register for you and an adult can only register for not more than four minors.
“Now, we want to give sufficient time for the Nigerian public to listen to these two requirements, to assimilate this new system.
“So if you go and start tomorrow, a lot of people will be disgruntled. Why didn’t they tell us that this is a new way of doing it? Why didn’t they give us adequate time to do it? So we want to give you adequate time. Definitely between 3,4,5 days, certainly not more than a week.
Sambo assured Nigerians that a smooth and secured train ride is guaranteed while noting that the trains will not travel at night for now, while there is also going to be a review in train fares.
“I can assure you that we are a compassionate government and will consider the masses in the review of the train fare.”
We are not going to tell you what we have done. It is a security matter and I have no apologies for that.
“We’ll be monitoring it on a daily basis and improve on wherever we find some snags”.
“The ticketing called e-ticketing has already been contracted to a company, called secure ID. That concession has gone through the entire concession process under extant laws, including approval by the Federal Executive Council. So that concession remains in place for the duration of the concession period, which I think is 10 years”.
Sambo said that although only God can guarantee maximum security, he assured Nigerians that everything is in place to guarantee a secured and smooth train ride.
“We are not going to tell you what we have done. It is a security matter and I have no apologies for that.
“We’ll be monitoring it on a daily basis and improve on wherever we find some snacks”.
The Minister assured that Secured ID would continue to handle the e-ticketing services.
“The ticketing called e-ticketing has already been contracted to a company called secure ID. That concession has gone through the entire concession process under extant laws, including approval by the Federal Executive Council. So that concession remains in place for the duration of the concession period, which I think is 10 years”.
The Minister was accompanied by the Minster of State for Transportation, Ademola Adegoroye; Minister of Water Resources Eng. Suleiman Adamu; Managing Director, Nigeria Railway Corporation Fidet Okhiria; Chairman Governing Board Nigeria Railway Corporation Ibrahim Musa.
As Nigerdock recants operational breaches, FG may lift suspension on the facility
Headlines1 month ago
NPA lifts 2022 Maritime Cup, beats Nigerian Navy in epic final
Customs1 month ago
Customs goes after killer- smugglers.
Headlines2 months ago
Transport Minister collaborates with army, others to secure release of 23 remaining Abuja-Kaduna train attack victims
Headlines2 months ago
FG may resume Abuja-Kaduna rail services in November after installation of security measures
Car Mart2 months ago
New costs of clearing Tokunbo cars under VIN regime at Nigerian ports
Headlines1 week ago
NIMASA unveils N17.4 billion new highrise headquarters on Victoria Island