Headlines
Million-dollar drug bust: New Zealand intercepts $2.59m of cannabis meant to ‘fund terrorism’
For the second time in days, the Royal New Zealand Navy has seized millions of dollars worth of drugs from a vessel in the Indian Ocean authorities which officials said would have been sold to “fund terrorism”.
On Monday, a Kiwi-led task force confiscated 3600 kilograms of hash (cannabis concentrate), valued at $2.59 million from a vessel outside the Arabian Gulf as part of a counter-narcotics operation.
The Royal NZ Navy task force was working as part of an international Combined Maritime Forces operation on the French Marine Nationale frigate FS Languedoc.
The interception of a vessel with the $2.95m of hash on Monday, follows frigate FS Languedoc’s interception and search of another vessel seven days earlier.
On that occasion, the frigate seized more than 1525kg of hash and 166kg of methamphetamine with a combined value of more than $7.4m.
“For the second time in a week, the French frigate Languedoc has demonstrated her expertise and professionalism in seizing a large volume of narcotics that would have otherwise been destined for the market with the funds from the sale being used to fund terrorism and criminal activity,” he said.
“The continued commitment and contribution of a French Marine Nationale Frigate to CTF 150 ensures mission success.”
Criminal and terrorist organisations use the proceeds of sales of narcotics to obtain weapons, ammunition and equipment and for training for criminal and terrorist activities.
CTF 150 is one of three task forces of the CMF. Its mission is to disrupt criminal and terrorist organisations and their illicit activities, including the movement of people, weapons, narcotics and charcoal.
The Combined Maritime Forces is a multinational maritime partnership of 34 nations.
It exists to uphold international rules-based order by countering illicit non-state actors on the high seas and promoting security, stability, and prosperity across approximately 8.3 million square kilometers of international waters encompassing some of the world’s most important shipping lanes.
The New Zealand-led multinational team took over command of CTF 150 from Canada earlier this year. The NZDF will command and staff the CTF 150 until early 2022.
Headlines
NIWA partners ICPC to strengthen internal transparency in its operations
Headlines
Navy appoints new Maritime Guard Commander for NIMASA
Commodore Adoki, a principal Warfare Officer specializing in communication and intelligence, brings onboard 25 years experience in the Nigerian Navy covering training, staff and operations.
Welcoming the new MGC Commander to the Agency, the Director General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, expressed confidence in Adoki’s addition to the team, emphasising that it will further strengthen the nation’s maritime security architecture given his vast experience in the industry.
The Maritime Guard Command domiciled in NIMASA was established as part of the resolutions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Navy to assist NIMASA strengthen operational efficiency in Nigeria’s territorial waters, especially through enforcement of security, safety and other maritime regulations.
Customs
Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines4 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
