Headlines
UN raises alarm over stranded ships, seafarers in Ukraine
|
—-food supplies running low
Eyewitness reporter with agency report.
The United Nations has raised the alarm over the dangerous situation that stranded ships with their crew are facing in Ukraine as all efforts to evacuate them are getting difficult.
It is estimated that more than 1,000 seafarers are stranded on 100 ships that are caught in the cross-fire between the Russian and Ukrainian forces.
Shipping officials have said that food and medical supplies to these stranded crew are running low amidst apprehension over their safety.
Russia’s military took control of waterways when it invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, in what Moscow calls a “special operation”.
At least 100 foreign-flagged ships with over 1,000 seafarers have been stuck since then inside Ukrainian ports with food supplies running low, shipping officials say.
According to Reuters, the UN shipping agency the International Maritime Organization (IMO) said this month it would seek to create a safe maritime corridor to enable merchant ships and their crews to sail out of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov without the risk of being hit.
“The IMO Secretariat is working with both Ukraine and the Russian Federation to try and assist the safe departure of the ships and their crew,” an IMO spokesperson said. “However, at present, the ongoing security risks preclude the option for ships to depart from ports in Ukraine.” Multiple issues including the risk of mines is complicating efforts, sources with knowledge of the situation say. In recent days Turkish and Romanian military diving teams have been involved in defusing stray mines around their waters, underscoring the broader dangers. “Efforts to establish these safe blue corridors are extremely challenging,” the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) said. An ICS spokesperson added that it was trying to deliver provisions to affected vessels, “which are in grave danger of running out of food in the coming days as well as ensuring that vessels are not targeted for any kinetic strikes by any party”. Five merchant vessels have been hit by projectiles – with one of them sunk – off Ukraine’s coast with two seafarers killed, shipping officials say. London’s marine insurance market has widened the area of waters it considers high risk in the region. In a circular letter issued to the IMO on Monday, Russia said it had established a humanitarian maritime corridor starting from March 27 “with the aim of ensuring safe passage” from the Ukrainian ports of Chernomorsk, Kherson, Mykolaiv, Ochakov, Odesa and Yuzhne. Russia said the corridor, which would operate daily, represented an 80-mile long and 3-mile wide marine traffic lane from the assembly area. “The Russian side calls on competent authorities of Ukraine to provide for the safety and security of the merchant vessels and their crews’ transition to the assembly area,” it said in the circular. Ukraine’s Maritime Administration is aware of Russia’s announcement, its deputy head Victor Vyshnov said, which was first made by Russian warships to commercial ships last week. The IMO spokesperson said its Secretariat had circulated Russia’s communication. But Vyshnov said any boundaries for the corridor announced by Russia had not been agreed upon by Ukraine. “This is just a new sign of Russian propaganda,” he told Reuters. “Due to the ongoing aggression against Ukraine, and Russian mine-laying activities at sea, no one can guarantee shipping safety in this region.” Vyshnov said there were preconditions for the safe evacuation of ships. “Russia must fully stop the hostilities, withdraw its troops and ensure the freedom and safety of navigation in the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, including by carrying out mine-sweeping or allowing other littoral states to do this job,” he said. |
|
Headlines
NIWA partners ICPC to strengthen internal transparency in its operations
Headlines
Navy appoints new Maritime Guard Commander for NIMASA
Commodore Adoki, a principal Warfare Officer specializing in communication and intelligence, brings onboard 25 years experience in the Nigerian Navy covering training, staff and operations.
Welcoming the new MGC Commander to the Agency, the Director General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, expressed confidence in Adoki’s addition to the team, emphasising that it will further strengthen the nation’s maritime security architecture given his vast experience in the industry.
The Maritime Guard Command domiciled in NIMASA was established as part of the resolutions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Navy to assist NIMASA strengthen operational efficiency in Nigeria’s territorial waters, especially through enforcement of security, safety and other maritime regulations.
Customs
Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines4 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
