Connect with us

Customs

American marine officer begs for leniency as court sends him to jail over importation of firearms

The Eyewitness Reporter 
The Nigeria Customs Service on Friday, November 17th, 2023, secured a conviction of an American ex- marine officer, Donn Perkins, over the importation of firearms into the country.
At the resumed hearing of the case at a Lagos Federal High Court, on Friday, the whimpering American, who had earlier pleaded not guilty to the offence, changed his plea on Wednesday to guilty and was consequently sentenced to six months imprisonment by Justice Abimbola Awogboro.

The convicted American was first arraigned before the court on May 25, on a four-count charge of unlawful importation of prohibited firearms, by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).

The prosecutor, Mrs. Kehinde Bode-Ayeni, had told the court that the American, who claimed to be a Marine Officer in America, was arrested with the firearms, sometime in February 2023, at the Tin-can Island, Apapa, Lagos.

Some of the arms and ammunition the convict was arrested with were; one piece of 5.56mm AK47, styled rifle (Tavor) serial No. 1452 with three magazines and one drum, one piece of Ak-47 .62mm variant serial No: 9335724 with four magazines, Ruger magnum .357 Revolver with serial No. 17819337, Ruger 380 pistol with serial no; 79047837 and XD 45 pistol with serial No. BY558431 and two magazines.

Others include; a total of 1,064 rounds of 5.56mm live ammunition, 119 rounds of 357mm live ammunition, and 62 rounds of.32mm automatic ammunition, 29 rounds of 9mm live ammunition, 25 rounds of AK47 7.62mm special live ammunition, 39 rounds of 22mm live ammunition, 47 rounds of 45mm automatic live ammunition, 1 round of .40mm live ammunition, and 54 rounds of .380mm Ruger live ammunition.

The arms and ammunition, according to the prosecutor, were concealed in a 1x20ft Container No: TGHU0S010362 and illegally brought into the country through Tin-Can Island, Apapa, Lagos.

The prosecutor told the court that the offence committed by the convict contravened sections section 18 and 19 of the Firearms Act, Cap F28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 (As amended), and punishable under section 27 (1) (a) (lil) of the same Act.

The convict had pleaded not guilty when he was arraigned and following the arguments canvassed on his bail application by his lawyer and the prosecutor, the court ordered the accelerated hearing of the matter, while also remanded him in custody.

However, at the resumed hearing of the charges last Wednesday, the convict signified his intention to charge his plea

Sequel to the convict’s intention, the court ordered that the charges be re-read to him so that his plea could be taken again.

Following his guilty plea to the charge, the prosecutor, Mrs. Bode-Ayeni, called a witness, who narrated how the convict was arrested with the prohibited weapons and tendered all the confiscated weapons.

Consequently, the prosecutor urged the court to convict and sentence him owing to his plea, coupled with the testimony of the witness and exhibits tendered.

And in accordance with section 356(e) of the Administration of the Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015.

However, his lawyer, Dr. Sheriff Adesanya, in his allucutor urged the court to be lenient with his client, having pleaded guilty to the charge without wasting the time of the court.

He said: “The convict has pleaded guilty to the offence of not declaring his firearms, thereby not wasting the time of the court.

“I humbly submit that the convict is a 38-year-old US citizen, who decided to trace his roots back to Nigeria and he was misguided.

” While ignorant of the law is not an excuse. In fact, he is a US Marine, who procured the required permit to have these firearms.

“His failure to declare the weapons has caused him to lose his family, as his wife is now filing a divorce due to this charge.

“I urged the court to take into consideration the six months spent in custody.”

Also, the convicted American, while begging the court for leniency said: “I just want to use the weapons to protect myself and my family, that is how we were trained in the US.

“I came in last year and spent three weeks, then, I came back this year. I just don’t know how to go about it in getting it registered.

“I urged the court to show me mercy, I don’t have any negative intent, and if I have may God strike me dead.

“I just bring it in to protect myself and my family.”

In sentencing the convict on Friday, Justice Awogboro, after legally weighing all the submissions made by parties, and citing a plethora of legal authorities, sentenced the convict to six months imprisonment.

The judge held that the period of the jail term commences from the date the convict was arrested.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Customs

Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme 

Funso OLOJO,  Editor 
The Authorized Economic Operator (AEO), one of the trade facilitation tools introduced by the Nigeria Customs Service in 2025, has begun to yield bountiful harvests with the revenue growth of ₦362.79 billion recorded in 2025.
According to the AEO scorecard released by the Service, the facilitation tool grossed the sum of N1.585 trillion after certification, an increase revenue from N1.222 trillion before certification.
This represents the growth of N362.79 billion(29.68 per cent) for 51 AEO – certified entities as at October, 2025.
The Programme, according to the NCS,  also contributed 21.77% to its total revenue collection of ₦7.281 trillion in 2025, while customs duties paid rose by 85.66% due to enhanced compliance and increased volumes of legitimate trade.
According to AEO Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Report, the Programme achieved an average compliance rate of 85.45 per cent with the highest at 100 per cent and the lowest at 60 per cent.
“The evaluation applied rigorous methodologies to ensure objectivity, transparency, and alignment with the World Customs Organisation (WCO) SAFE Framework of Standards and the provisions of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
“In the area of trade facilitation, AEO participation reduced average cargo clearance time from 168 hours to 41 hours, representing a 75.60% time saving.
“Company operating costs declined by 57.2 per cent while demurrage payments dropped by 90 per cent, limiting capital flight to foreign-owned port service providers and strengthening foreign exchange retention.
” Overall trade efficiency improved by 77.11 per  through digitalisation, simplified procedures, and targeted risk management” the Customs declared in the AEO scorecard.
However, the Service singled out with Eight companies for commendation due to their integrity and compliance under the programme.
The companies include Coleman Technical Industries Limited, WACOT Rice Limited, ROMSON Oil Field Services Ltd, WACOT Limited, Chi Farms Ltd, CORMART Nigeria Ltd, PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc, Nigerian Bottling Company Limited and MTN Nigeria Communications Plc.
The Service lauded them for a cumulative voluntary remittance of over a billion naira into the Federation Account following their self-initiated transaction review and disclosure.
“These actions reflect the strengthening of post-clearance audit mechanisms and a growing culture of voluntary compliance within the trading community.
Nevertheless, the Service suspended a firm under the programme for its non- compliance and display of lack of integrity.
The suspended firm engaged in false declaration of consignments contrary to programme obligations.
“Consequently, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, directed the immediate suspension of the company’s AEO status in accordance with the AEO Guidelines, the WCO SAFE Framework of Standards, and Section 112 of the Nigeria Customs Service Act, 2023.
The NCS reiterated that the AEO Programme is founded on trust, transparency, and continuous compliance.
“While compliant operators will continue to benefit from expedited clearance and reduced inspection, appropriate sanctions will be applied where violations are established.
“The Service remains resolute in safeguarding national revenue, facilitating legitimate trade, and preserving the integrity and global credibility of Nigeria’s AEO framework” the NCS concluded in the report.
Continue Reading

Customs

Customs takes delivery, commissions 60- bed hospital donated by BUA Group in Bauchi

Gloria Odion, Maritime Reporter 
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, officially commissioned the Abdul Samad Rabiu / Nigeria Customs Service Hospital in Bauchi, a 60-bed healthcare facility constructed and donated by Abdul Samad Rabiu, Chairman of ASR Africa and Founder/Executive Chairman of BUA Group.
The hospital, delivered through the Abdul Samad Rabiu Africa Initiative, is expected to significantly expand healthcare access for Customs officers, their families and host communities across Zone ‘D’ and neighbouring states.
Describing the project as a strategic welfare investment, the CGC said the facility reflects the Service’s commitment to strengthening institutional capacity through improved personnel wellbeing.
 “This commissioning is a clear statement that the NCS prioritises the health and welfare of its officers,” he stated.
“A modern Service requires not only technology and operational reforms, but also strong social infrastructure that supports those who serve.”
In his remarks, the Managing Director/CEO of ASR Africa, Dr Ubon Udoh, emphasised the intervention’s sustainability focus.
“ASR Africa is committed to impact-driven philanthropy,” he said. “Our partnership with the NCS demonstrates what can be achieved when private sector commitment aligns with institutional reform and clear developmental goals.”
Also delivering a message on behalf of the Executive Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed, the Secretary to the State Government, Aminu Hammayo, described the commissioning as a boost to the state’s healthcare ecosystem.
“This facility will complement existing public health institutions and improve access to specialised services,” he said.
 “It reflects the value of collaboration between government and responsible corporate entities.”
The hospital’s commissioning marks the culmination of a phased transformation that began in 2008 with the establishment of a basic health post at the Zone ‘D’ Headquarters, Bauchi.
It was subsequently upgraded to a clinic, and later a medical centre, before a 2023 partnership between the NCS and ASR Africa converted it into a 30-bed hospital, completed in April 2025.
Following a needs assessment, the CGC approved the remodelling and expansion of the facility into a 60-bed secondary healthcare facility with selected tertiary services.
Now equipped with seven clinical departments: Nursing Services, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pharmacy and Medical Laboratory, alongside Administrative and Health Information Management units, as well as Dental, Radiology and Nutrition units.
The hospital is projected to manage up to 300 patients per month during its first operational year.
Long-term expansion plans include advanced diagnostics such as CT scans and MRI, as well as specialised surgical procedures, positioning the facility as a referral centre across the North-East and parts of North-Central Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Customs

Ahead of Customs’ paperless operations in June, Comptroller Onyeka declares Tin Can Customs trade enabler

Funso OLOJO, Editor 
Barely few days after the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, announced that the Customs will migrate to paperless operations in June, 2026, the Tin Can command of the Service has made an elaborate preparation to key into the digital platform.
Even though, the Customs High Command is yet to release the blue print for the take -off of the digital revolution in goods clearance, the Controller of Tin Can Customs, Comptroller Frank Onyeka, has declared that his command is ready to hit the ground running.
To this end, Comptroller Onyeka has declared Tin Can Island Customs as a trade enabler where seamless operations will be the order of the day.
While speaking with the maritime media on Tuesday, February 17th, 2026, Onyeka stated that as long as an importer or his agent makes an honest declaration and the consignment is not flagged, such goods will leave the customs control within the 48 hours clearance time being envisaged by the Customs under its paperless operations regime.
Comptroller Onyeka further disclosed that his command will aim at collecting collectable revenue instead of maximum revenue which often leaves no room for trader to handle logistics costs and other sundry charges.
“By focusing on collectable revenue, we ensure that the trader makes profit, return to the market and continues to contribute to the society.
“I want to be known as a trade enabler personified” Comptroller Onyeka enthused.
While making projection into the year 2026, the Customs chief said the command recorded a lot of positives in 2025 when it surpassed the revenue target for that year and when a record revenue collection of 26 billion was recorded in a single day, a feat that was unprecedented in the history of the command.
Onyeka said the command started the year 2026 on a good revenue trajectory with the collection of  N145. 9bn in January, representing a 25.3 percent increase when compared to the N116.4billon  collected in January 2025.
He acknowledged the support of the media for its “constructive reportage” which acted as a catalyst for the good performance of the command in 2025.
While soliciting for the continued support of journalists in 2026, Comptroller Onyeka said his officers have been well primed to confront the challenges ahead.
He dismissed the fears of possible network glitches which stakeholders expressed may hamper the success of the paperless operations, saying such eventuality will be surmounted just as the teething problems which plagued B’ Odogwu platform at take off were conquered.
“Despite the teething problems with B’Odogwu,  we have recorded tremendous success, so we are ready for the paperless operations.
“There could be network issues but I want to urge the trading public to build capacity.
“With that, you can complete container clearance entirely online, with no physical contact with customs officers.
“If your declaration is not flagged, the process will be seamless, there will be no reason to come and see anyone.
“We cannot guarantee a perfect system from day one, but those challenges will not stop us.
” The more traders declare correctly and honestly, the smoother this process becomes for everyone,” he declared while advising importers to palletise their consignments.
It could be recalled that while launching the Customs’ One- Stop- Shop(OSS) on Friday, February 13th, 2026, the Comptroller- General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed that the Service is advancing toward a fully paperless customs environment, with the first phase of digital clearance and documentation processes scheduled for rollout by the end of the second quarter of 2026.
“This platform is a deliberate shift from fragmented interventions to coordinated governance, from discretion to data, and from isolated actions to collective responsibility,” Adeniyi had declared.
 “Through this reform, we continue to build systems that support lawful trade, protect national interests and serve the economy with professionalism and integrity.” he concluded.
Continue Reading

Trending