Headlines
Maersk denies $600 investment claim in Nigeria
However, Maersk said such a claim appeared to be news to the company.
A $600m investment into Nigeria’s port sector from Maersk, announced personally by the West African state’s president Bola Tinubu on Sunday, appears to be less solid than the government initially claimed.
Despite a presidential statement from Tinubu detailing how he had secured the purported investment during a World Economic Forum meeting in Riyadh over the weekend, Maersk officials have confirmed that no such agreement is in place and no deals have been signed.
The Nigerian government statement detailed how A.P Moller-Maersk chairman, Robert Maersk Uggla, had discussed the investment with President Tinubu on the sidelines of a meeting discussing energy development and growth.
But according to Maersk, that deal does not exist.
Accordingthe report by Lloyd’s List, Maersk officials said while Uggla did meet the president, no such deal had been signed.
“Maersk has been present in Nigeria for 35 years and, as a global provider of logistics services, we remain committed to developing opportunities for growth to people, the port sector and businesses locally,” the company said in a statement to Lloyd’s List.
“Therefore, it is natural to have an ongoing dialogue with the administration. However, we are not able to comment on any investment talks.”
Maersk is due to report first-quarter results on Thursday, meaning that management is in a regulatory quiet period limiting what they can say publicly about the company’s activities.
Nigeria has promised to revamp its ports, including in the commercial capital Lagos, to ease congestion.
Tinubu’s statement explained that his government would support the modernisation and automation of its ports to improve trade, reduce corruption and boost efficiency. He claimed that the purported Maersk investment would “complement the administration’s ongoing $1bn investment in seaport reconstruction across the eastern and western seaports of Nigeria”.
“A bet on Nigeria is a winning bet. It is also a bet that rewards beyond what is obtainable elsewhere,” he said. “We need to encourage more opportunities for revenue expansion and minimise trans-shipments from larger ships to smaller ships.”
Headlines
NIWA partners ICPC to strengthen internal transparency in its operations
Headlines
Navy appoints new Maritime Guard Commander for NIMASA
Commodore Adoki, a principal Warfare Officer specializing in communication and intelligence, brings onboard 25 years experience in the Nigerian Navy covering training, staff and operations.
Welcoming the new MGC Commander to the Agency, the Director General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, expressed confidence in Adoki’s addition to the team, emphasising that it will further strengthen the nation’s maritime security architecture given his vast experience in the industry.
The Maritime Guard Command domiciled in NIMASA was established as part of the resolutions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Navy to assist NIMASA strengthen operational efficiency in Nigeria’s territorial waters, especially through enforcement of security, safety and other maritime regulations.
Customs
Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines4 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
