Headlines
Stranded seafarers escape Ukraine, others trapped – ILO
Some of the estimated 1,000 seafarers trapped in Ukraine have escaped, the International Labour Organization and industry officials told Reuters.
Several foreign cargo ships have been struck by crossfire in Ukraine since the Russian invasion began on 24th February and UN agencies have called for urgent action to protect some 1,000 seafarers, including in the besieged port city of Mariupol that has been under bombardment for weeks.
An estimated 100 vessels have been prevented from departing because of risks of drifting sea mines, industry sources say.
Fabrizio Barcellona, seafarers’ section coordinator at the International Transport Workers’ Federation, said the “vast bulk” of the seafarers, from at least 20 countries including India, Syria, Egypt, Turkey the Philippines and Bangladesh, as well as Ukraine and Russia, had left, traveling overland to Poland and Romania.
He cited information from Philippine government sources, saying seafarers of the Philippines had left.
“A small number [of the estimated 1,000] remain stranded and unable to return home due to the ongoing threat of potential military crossfire,” Barcellona said.
An ILO spokesperson said in an email that some seafarers were still trapped on their ships, within earshot of shellfire, without giving details.
Russia said on Wednesday it had taken control of Mariupol’s trading port and had freed what it called “hostages” from vessels.
On 11th April, a letter was circulated to International Maritime Organization members by Dominica maritime authorities about its ship that sank in Mariupol this month, saying the crew was hiding on other vessels “under an immense amount of intense fear and distress.”
Barcellona said the ITF, which represents some 200 seafarers’ unions, had been seeking to establish “blue corridors”, or safe passage routes, but this was impossible due to mines.
The International Committee of the Red Cross urged parties to the conflict to allow civilians, including commercial crews, to leave and said it would raise this with authorities.
Headlines
NIWA partners ICPC to strengthen internal transparency in its operations
Headlines
Navy appoints new Maritime Guard Commander for NIMASA
Commodore Adoki, a principal Warfare Officer specializing in communication and intelligence, brings onboard 25 years experience in the Nigerian Navy covering training, staff and operations.
Welcoming the new MGC Commander to the Agency, the Director General, Dr Dayo Mobereola, expressed confidence in Adoki’s addition to the team, emphasising that it will further strengthen the nation’s maritime security architecture given his vast experience in the industry.
The Maritime Guard Command domiciled in NIMASA was established as part of the resolutions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Navy to assist NIMASA strengthen operational efficiency in Nigeria’s territorial waters, especially through enforcement of security, safety and other maritime regulations.
Customs
Customs collects N1.585 trillion from 51 compliant traders under AEO programme
-
Headlines3 months agoEx-NIWA boss, Oyebamiji, emerges most media-friendly CEO in maritime industry
-
Headlines3 days agoFIFA sends Nigeria’s Super Eagles to 2026 World Cup, awards boardroom scoreline of 3 goals to nil against DR Congo
-
Headlines3 months agoMARAN pulls industry’s stakeholders to unveil its iconic book on Maritime industry.
-
Customs3 months agoHow Comptroller Adenuga is raising revenue profile of Seme command, facilitating regional trade.
-
Headlines3 months agoOndo govt inaugurates former NIMASA Director, Olu Aladenusi, as Special Aide on Marine and Blue Economy
-
Headlines3 months agoNigeria showcases readiness for compliance with IMO decarbonization policy at Brazil conference
